Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box Owners

cecemf

Hello,
I’ve joined the forum just for this thread and i really hope that someone of you can help me.
@cecemf i’ve got an LG G1 OLED Evo connected to the hue sync box.
Into the 2nd HDMI port of the hue sync box i’ve got an Amazon Fire Cube, and into the 4th port i’ve got a PS5.
Directly to the TV (into the eArc port) HDMI 4 port, i’ve got a sonos arc soundbar.
Each device is connected through Ivanky certified HDMI cables (Amazon product) and they’re working great.
Suddenly the dolby vision issue is still present for me, every time i have to enable the “enhanced dolby vision” that downgrades the picture quality to a standard HDR (i suppose) but the light sync works well, without that option enabled the lights won’t sync.
With fire cube connected to the hue box my LG G1 displays the video output as rgb 8b tm - 3840x2160p - 60hz fixed, the colors are amazing and dolby vision works correctly, but lights won’t sync.
if i enable the enhanced compatibility in hue sync, the video output is YCBCR422 8b, the colors seems washed out and less brighter and of course, light sync works well.
If i connect the fire cube directly to the tv the video output is rgb 8b tm - 3840x2160p - 60hz fixed (same as hue sync box without the dolby option enabled).
With PS5 all is working but i think it’s only because PS5 doesn’t support dolby vision…the only thing i can’t understand is that if i connect the ps5 directly to the tv the output is rgb 12b 4l8, but if i connect it to the sync box it will be YCBCR422 8b (like the fire cube with the enhanced dolby enabled).
I don’t think that my hdmi cables are the problem, but in case…what hdmi cable should i try?
Sorry if my english is not so good, but i’m italian😂

Ps: all of my devices are updated to the latest firmware version.

Hope that someone of you can help me, thank you!

I have a similar setup and got none of this issue, would suggest reporting the HDMI sync as faulty and getting a replacement. for me, all plugged in and Dolby setting on on HDMI box and has no issue whatsoever! Side note you should have the PS5 via HDMI sync but directly to the TV. as HDMI Sync box doesn't support 4k 120Hz, so your PS5 game will suffer.

SaimonRx

Novice Member
I have a similar setup and got none of this issue, would suggest reporting the HDMI sync as faulty and getting a replacement. for me, all plugged in and Dolby setting on on HDMI box and no issue whatsoever! Side note you should have the PS5 via HDMI sycn but directly to the TV. as HDMI Sync box doesn't support 4k 120Hz, so your PS5 game will suffer.
With the latest LG update it seems to be fixed and to my eyes, the latest firmware seems that shows HDR content more brighter than before, (and i’m not the only one reporting it on the web) now in dolby compatibility mode the colors don’t change and light sync works. Anyway, netflix app of my tv looks a little bit too brighter as the Netflix app of fire cube (home cinema user mode enabled on fire and netflix tv app with same settings), i bought an ATV4k for making some comparisons..wish me luck 😅
Only with DV i can notice that the picture is a bit darker then the Netflix TV internal app, no problems on HDR/SDR contents…maybe the hue box works only with LLDV (or maybe it’s just the fire cube that sends LLDV). Anyway in compatibility mode the video output it’s still ycrcb and without compatibility mode the output remains RGB 8b, but hey…i can’t really see the difference 😂

Actually for me the picture quality is good and i can keep it like that, i’ll let you know if i’ll see some differences with ATV4K.

Last edited:

SaimonRx

Novice Member
@cecemf
With an Apple TV 4K i have the same issue.
Enhanced DV compatibility drops the brightness and change the video output to Ycrcb from RGB 8b, and the light sync works well. As i read in many forums i suppose that this is not an issue because Hue sync box only supports LLDV which works with ycrcb (not RGB), if i turn off DV option in the box the video output returns to RGB with full brightness but light sync doesn’t work.
If you have got an LG G1 evo like me, if you make a test with DV option enabled/disabled, you should see your video output changing RGB to Ycrcb and viceversa (if you press the green button on remote 4 times you should see the video info box) and theoretically you should see the difference in brightness.
Anyway, for me it’s ok like that…i prefer picture quality instead of light sync, so for the moment i’m using hue scenes to create a “similar” effect.
For the PS5 i can’t see any difference as it doesn’t support dolby vision but only HDR, so the light sync works well and i can play 4k 60fps (don’t care playing at 120)

yasuraka

Looking for some advice on how to combat this really annoying glitch I seem to have with my Hue Sync Box.

Just quickly, this is my current set up. I have PS5, SeriesX, Nvidia Shield Pro going into the Sync Box. This in turn goes to the TV I have( an LG c14 55") this then feeds to my soundbar via eArc (Samsung Q90R)

If I start from scratch with everything off then then the Sync box will recognise the input and switch requiring minimal input from me. However if I decide I want to use another device, the box just wont automatically switch over to the relevant input. Forcing me to use the app or get up and use the box. Aside from me just wanting to be a slave to convenience, its annoying if someone else wants to use the equipment when Im not home causing frustration that nothing works.

Is my only viable solution to invest in a HDMI switch? I do not have enough inputs on the TV to allow everything to connect to that, to then daisy chain to the Sync Box then back to the TV to then somehow go into the soundbar to let me have Atmos.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Macbooky

Looking for some advice on how to combat this really annoying glitch I seem to have with my Hue Sync Box.

Just quickly, this is my current set up. I have PS5, SeriesX, Nvidia Shield Pro going into the Sync Box. This in turn goes to the TV I have( an LG c14 55") this then feeds to my soundbar via eArc (Samsung Q90R)

If I start from scratch with everything off then then the Sync box will recognise the input and switch requiring minimal input from me. However if I decide I want to use another device, the box just wont automatically switch over to the relevant input. Forcing me to use the app or get up and use the box. Aside from me just wanting to be a slave to convenience, its annoying if someone else wants to use the equipment when Im not home causing frustration that nothing works.

Is my only viable solution to invest in a HDMI switch? I do not have enough inputs on the TV to allow everything to connect to that, to then daisy chain to the Sync Box then back to the TV to then somehow go into the soundbar to let me have Atmos.

Any help and advice is much appreciated!
I'd say make sure HDMI-CEC is enabled on all your devices plugged into the sync box.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom