Philips Hue Owners Thread

I'm wondering if anyone can help or has had the same issue. I bought a brand new White Ambiance GU10 yesterday. When i set it up, i found that the scenes Relax, Read, Concentrate, Energize were all missing. It only had the three Bright, dimmed and nightlight present. I did the software update but its still the same. I bought another of exactly the same bulb from a different supplier and all ok with that one. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try manually changing the colour of the bulb in the app. Sounds like you’ve got a warm white only bulb.

does anyone have the GU-10 hue bulbs in their bathroom? Getting some work done just now and need to know if they are IP65 spec but can’t find anything to confirm this.

does anyone have the GU-10 hue bulbs in their bathroom? Getting some work done just now and need to know if they are IP65 spec but can’t find anything to confirm this.
I have Hue GU10’s in both my bathroom and shower room (1 is directly above the shower). They have been there years with no issues.
Just make sure that the light fitting is the correct rating and the bulbs should be fine.

Last edited:
Apparently Philips is now in the process of rolling out the firmware update for the hub to enable adaptive lighting through HomeKit (it’s only been available to beta testers until now).

Wouldn't it be the enclosures that are IP65 rather than the bulb? Not sure as don't have any but always thought the bathroom downlight enclosures would have a glass/sealed enclosure the bulbs sit behind, or above.

I do have the newer colour GU10's outside within a similar fitting I described, the bulb inserts into main holder, with a glass faced screw cap to close. No problems and been in a year now.

Thanks folks I think I was wrong in my understanding. Yes the enclosures are IP65 the bulbs are fine. Slight mix up with me and the guy fitting the ceiling and lights. I have ordered the GU10’s for the room. Hopefully with us and fitted tomorrow.

With the imminent arrival of a new TV, i'm looking to move away from the luminoodle bias lighting stuck on the back of my current TV - with that being said, the new TV will be wall mounted with only a 3 - 4 cm gap between it and the wall, I can't fit the playbars behind it, nor do I really want the hue strip as it means i'll have to stick this to the wall or TV again ....

So my question is - what are your thoughts on a couple of the Philips Hue Iris (with bridge), either side of the TV and lighting the wall either side of it?

We are installing some decking and I would like to add garden lighting to our entertainping space. Thinking of adding around ten lights and a large strip light.
Will these all be controlled via one bridge?
How many out door plug sockets will I need installing to run these lights?

Which switch do I need to turn things on from in the house plus the app for switching purposes?

I presume I can add an outdoor hue security light with motion sensor and leave that on during the night for the foxes whilst everything else is off or one or two lights on for ambiance.

New to this and hue but it looks like a fantastic system thanks in advance

Yeah well that would just be crazy.. most expensive static led strip ever :D
I just ordered some leds from Canada.. these actually solder into the hue led strip connection box, hue just thinks its a Philips strip.. much brighter and way more customisable with shorter cut sizes :)
Hey buddy have you got a link to these?

Hey buddy have you got a link to these?
Thanks buddy, this is really interesting. Would you mind giving me a quick explanation of how you wired it up? I assume you bought LEDs and the 5-channel-high-frequency-amplifier? Did you use an additional
Power supply or use the original hue one?

Guys, here's hoping someone can shed some light (excuse the pun) on a problem i'm currently having with my Philips light strip.

Its all the latest up to date versions. I have 2 light strips either side of my cooker/hob/extractor fan. These are connected via Lite Acessory ribbon and pin connectors. When selecting different colours via the Hue App, one of the strips doesn't change to green, the first one in line after the power unit does. Of the 3 little LED's in the strip the one that shines green doesn't turn green like the other. Ive tried changing that light strip for another one but the same happens. Is it the ribbon? Anyone have any ideas on what it could be, or ever experienced something like it. Thanks in advance.

Not used lit accessories but sounds like one of the contacts isn’t connected properly on the ribbon, or there is a break somewhere. I’d suggest getting another ribbon to try it.

I did lid this with my Philips Hue lights and Hue Sync for Diwali (Indian Festival of Lights).

I want to do something similar for Christmas. Can anyone think of colourful Christmas music videos that would be good for Hue Sync?

Hi all,

Just a quick question; a friend of a friend has offered me some hue bulbs but being the suspicious type I'm not convinced they aren't stolen.

I don't want to accuse/query the guy but i just wondered if i did indeed by them off him could they get blocked when connecting them up if indeed there were stolen? what with the serial numbers/mac codes etc

I'll probably just end up buying in black Friday sales anyways but its a query that crossed my mind when offered these bulbs.

Also made me think what i can do if my hue outdoor lights were stolen from my own property.

Thanks in advance all

Hue hub update is available.
Those using HomeKit can now use the adaptive lighting feature :)

Nice one! Been waiting for this sounds like a great feature.

Just wish they would update their hub capacity.
With all the different lights they now do I'm up to 90 something across 2 hubs and don't really want to add a 3rd.

We are installing some decking and I would like to add garden lighting to our entertainping space. Thinking of adding around ten lights and a large strip light.
Will these all be controlled via one bridge?
How many out door plug sockets will I need installing to run these lights?

Which switch do I need to turn things on from in the house plus the app for switching purposes?

I presume I can add an outdoor hue security light with motion sensor and leave that on during the night for the foxes whilst everything else is off or one or two lights on for ambiance.

New to this and hue but it looks like a fantastic system thanks in advance
I've done something similar to this, using the Hue outdoor strip and Lily lights. The outdoor strip comes in 2 & 5m lengths, and each length requires a socket outlet. The Lily also requires a socket outlet, but you can daisy chain them, cant remember the max.

I've wired mine from a lighting circuit, using a switch per socket, but I use an App or Alexza to turn them on & off. I also have a separate DP switch, just so I can isolate the whole lot in case any of the cables develop a fault and trip the RCD.

I've done something similar to this, using the Hue outdoor strip and Lily lights. The outdoor strip comes in 2 & 5m lengths, and each length requires a socket outlet. The Lily also requires a socket outlet, but you can daisy chain them, cant remember the max.

I've wired mine from a lighting circuit, using a switch per socket, but I use an App or Alexza to turn them on & off. I also have a separate DP switch, just so I can isolate the whole lot in case any of the cables develop a fault and trip the RCD.
Thanks man sorted some via Black Friday and installed 3 it’s a great system. Waiting for project completion in tye new year and a sparky will install the remainder.

Think I'm about to buy a Hubitat to gain full Alexa integration of two Hue Hubs. Anyone already done this and give any feedback before I jump?

I've purchased the hue lightstrip 2m and 1m extension both colour. When I plug in the 1m I get no colours. Just whites and yellows. I'm I missing something? They both say colour on the box

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom