Philips Hue Owners Thread

HomeKit is just apples smart home platform. Requires either a HomePod or Apple TV to act as a central hub (or hubs) and then everything else attaches to that and shows up in the Apple home app.

That way you can just use (for the most part) the one app to control the entire smart home rather than individual apps.

As you can see, my downlights are switched off at the wall while I investigate the issues I’m having so show as unresponsive.

I also have all my cameras linked through (not shown)

View attachment 1944576
Thanks for explaining. I should have asked it it was Apple or Android. I am on the dark side of Apple. But I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Google home is similar as far as I’m aware.

I do have Google Home installed as it goes and it hoovers up all the devices a treat. I think I'm guilty of not investing enough time into it.

I tend to get a good solid field of devices (whatever it be Hue, Sonos etc) and set up reliable enough and then run out of steam before getting the best or fine tuning things to a higher level. Think this is the time to be changing that

Currently nearly jus t ost my shit with Hue…..I’ve got a 2nd gen bridge that in all fairness is probably way behind as far as firmware updates go.

To make things worse over the years I’ve messed about and swapped bulbs from socket to socket, fiddled with settings and got myself way too confused,

One B22 colour failed on me, so I decided to buy a new Ambiance double pack and ‘refresh‘ whole set up, housekeeping if you will.

14 x Hue bulbs, 5 x Innr bulbs, 3 x remote controls and one motion sensor later my brain is fried, I’ve been at it for a couple of hours. Try identifying which bulb it has just detected across 3 floors, plus I changed the naming convention…..

I think I am almost there though, just a bridge software update which is seemingly taken hours on my iOS App…….should it take this long?

Ideally I could have added them back in one by one, named and grouped etc but where‘s the fun in that……

Last edited:
I have all my devices on automatic update, checks every night.
It’s still showing as the software is updating 9 hours later, can this be right?

With that many devices, I guess it is possible (?)
Each bulb can take 20 mins or so but with a complex network of bulbs.. Not sure.
Cheers I’ll let it run through the day

Hi, can anyone advise on how to kick start the movement sensors after batteries have been depleted?

I've 3 sensors that I foolishly let run down (mainly as I'd deactivated there control of lights) and even after replacing the batteries I can't seem to get them to turn on.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Picked up a Hue Go 2.0 today and after a quick s/w update I am suitably impressed with the lamp, sitting nicely on the dining table doing it’s thing.

Hi, can anyone advise on how to kick start the movement sensors after batteries have been depleted?

I've 3 sensors that I foolishly let run down (mainly as I'd deactivated there control of lights) and even after replacing the batteries I can't seem to get them to turn on.

Any guidance much appreciated.
There is a reset pin hole IIRC on the back, try that first. Failing that, remove and add it back in but it will need reconfiguring.

With that many devices, I guess it is possible (?)
Each bulb can take 20 mins or so but with a complex network of bulbs.. Not sure.
It got there in the end, thanks for the advice and apologies for the delay

My Hue Lily garden spots have stopped working.

Just under 3 years old.

Became unreachable in the Hue app so I deleted them.

Have checked wiring for any cuts or animal nibbles and they look fine.

Have tested all connections and look fine.

They won’t even turn on. Have swapped the first light out and tried all other 3 and none of them will power on.

I’m wondering if it’s the transformer base unit?

My Hue Lily garden spots have stopped working.

Just under 3 years old.

Became unreachable in the Hue app so I deleted them.

Have tested all connections and look fine.

They won’t even turn on. Have swapped the first light out and tried all other 3 and none of them will power on.

I’m wondering if it’s the transformer base unit?
It almost certainly is. We have the same spots ... about 18 of then and a number of those long rectangular ones .... I forget the name. Ahh Amarant, that's the fells. We had exactly the same as you experience about a year in and it was indeed the transformer.

They regularly come up on ebay and cheap enough. I think the one that went (we have a few) was a 40w one. I replaced it with a 100w one and interestingly no repeat problems in that department.

Replace it, it's highly likely the problem will go away.

I had a problem last year with the first light in a sequence of four working but the other 3 not. The cable between the first and second light had been damaged, possibly by plant roots. Replacing it sorted the issue. If your problem is cabling that might help narrow it down although I note the transformer may be the more likely suspect.

Thanks both. Have swapped the first light with the other 3 and none light up. Checked all cables and no visible damage. Have ordered a transformer from Philips as can’t see any on eBay. Will report back when it arrives

I had a problem last year with the first light in a sequence of four working but the other 3 not. The cable between the first and second light had been damaged, possibly by plant roots. Replacing it sorted the issue. If your problem is cabling that might help narrow it down although I note the transformer may be the more likely suspect.

Same here with one of our string of Amarants. Still have that issue. And the unit was only maybe 18 months in use. Have took it out to fault find but not progressed with that yet. No obvious damage to the unit but needs shaking down.

Also have a very weird one with a Hue outside wall unit. It's been powered on and green since way before Christmas .... has been too miserable to fault find. It's just one unit, powered from mains and still on and coloured green .... most odd.

Hue are replacing a number of 40w transformers free as part of a recall. I purchased mostly through Amazon and received the information that there coiuld be a fault with them, Philips asked to complete a form with the serial number and have just delivered two replacements

Hue are replacing a number of 40w transformers free as part of a recall. I purchased mostly through Amazon and received the information that there coiuld be a fault with them, Philips asked to complete a form with the serial number and have just delivered two replacements
That’s interesting. Bought mine from Argos. Is there a link to the form?

Edit-Found it

And mine is in the recall! Thank you - just saved me £45!

Last edited:
Useful to know. Thanks. Ones that have failed for me have both been 40's .... the 100's I've never had a problem with.

I've got several spare 40w but looks like you are sorted plus worth trying to see if your part of a recall and get a free one. Hope you get it sorted but 100% sounds like the supply unit has gone.

I have a couple of outdoor Hue lights which are controlled by a wireless sensor, but the sensor is turning on the lights during the day time, even though the behavior for that time slot is set it to 'do nothing'.

Any ideas why this might be please?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom