Philips Hue Launch Light Switch Module

D

Deleted member 24354

Signify today launches a series of Philips Hue news on the street; including the sleek new dimmer switch , two new outdoor lamps and not least a brand new module that makes the home's existing light switches smart and at the same time prevents guests from inadvertently turning off the light. A solution that has been sighed for a long time among Hue owners.

The module is installed behind the existing light switch in the wall and ensures that the smart lighting is always available, even if it is "switched off" via the switch. In addition, in the Hue app, you can select light scenes and adjust how the switch should work to suit your needs. The Philips Hue wall switch module is battery-powered and has a battery life of at least five years.

1610622321004.png

Wall Switch Module can be installed in all home sockets. It will be on the market "spring 2021" and will cost approximately £25. You can also buy a double package for £40.

Signify says that the module will be sold exclusively on philips-hue.com for the first three months after launch.

More information can be found on the Hue Facebook Page

The Philips Hue Dimmer Switch has received a design overhaul. The new version has become more modern in its expression, but retains the same features, despite the fact that a button has been removed. The two middle ones, which raise and lower the brightness, have been combined into a single button.

1610622689434.png

At the same time, the mounting plate has grown by one centimeter on each joint, so that it is now 80 x 125 millimeters. This means that it can now better cover the different types of contacts used in EU countries.

The new Philips Hue Dimmer Switch goes on sale on January 26 at a price of approximately £15.

Not sure if the battery operated is good or bad at this point. Will wait to see wiring diagrams. If it gets around the whole Neutral required issue it maybe a USP. Also curious if it will integrate with other HA hubs including Google / Alexa. The prices I converted from Dutch Krona so will be interested to see if they translate well to UK. It maybe a response to the likes of S****f and Shelly taking food out of their mouths with their cheap modules. It still is not a dimmer and will require the use of Hue Bulbs.

So glad that i can now get these for all my dumb lighting around the home.

However, i am in a new build and i can't see them fitting behind the switches. My back plates are nowhere near that deep

However, i am in a new build and i can't see them fitting behind the switches. My back plates are nowhere near that deep

Typically they are 35mm deep, which is enough for a single module.

Looks like you may have to get busy with an SDS drill and chase in some deeper back boxes.

£40 a pair isn't bad and then as your forced to buy through the website, they offer 17% cashback too.

My electricity bill has been SKY High cos our little one has to have every light on in the house, so this should make things a lot easier.

I think that lots will like these and a great idea, that is until you unscrew your current faceplate and realise the galvanised back box isn’t deep enough to accommodate the new device. Houses with timber framed walls and dot an dab plasterboard walls will find this easier than those of conventional brick or block walls.

I think that lots will like these and a great idea, that is until you unscrew your current faceplate and realise the galvanised back box isn’t deep enough to accommodate the new device. Houses with timber framed walls and dot an dab plasterboard walls will find this easier than those of conventional brick or block walls.

Or are wooden ones like in my house. WTF?!

... I know, old house!

I don’t use Hue, and I am a bit confused as to how exactly these would work with multi gang switches. Can anyone explain?

And I take it you still need Hue bulbs, these are prevent them being turned off at the wall when you don’t want them to?

The same way any other smart module works with a multi-gang switch. Each switch needs a module.

These do convert your wall switch to a Hue point though don't they? So on the app i will be able to turn the room lights on and off? or have i got it very wrong?

The video above shows only 2 wires to the switch. I presume that means these things can't be wired to a 3 position retractive switch to offer dimming via the switch and the switch just on/off. Does anyone know?

These are not dimmers they are just a smart relay (on or off) Philips still want you to buy their bulbs. This is just an integrated way of ensuring that the light switch is not turned off and so the bulb cannot be powered. You will still nee to buy a Hue bulb as well.

Edit - See below. It looks like I was wrong(ish)

They are dimmers, but only with Hue Bulbs

Last edited by a moderator:
A little more information is appearing

Using the Hue app you can program the module to do what you want when the switch is turned off or on. The obvious choice being have it initiate a scene that turns the light off, but leave it still powered on.

You can assign up to three scenes, controlled by switching the light on, off then on again.

Sadly, it won't make dumb bulbs smart, as a more traditional smart switch would, because it only works with Hue bulbs.

Installation is similar to a smart switch but crucially it doesn't require a neutral wire, as it draws power from a coin cell battery. Signify says this should last for 5 years.

It's also super slim, 10.2 millimeters / 0.4 inches, so should fit in most wall boxes and the module has two inputs so you can wire it up to two single switches or one switch with a double rocker, or just to one light switch.

Three-ways and lights controlled by more than one switch will need one module in each switch.

The module also works with push button dimmer switched, allowing you to dim the light in the traditional way.

Revision on the pricing. Signify have now posted prices

Philips Hue wall switch module (Spring in Europe, Summer in North America)
EU: EUR 39.95 (1-pack) / EUR 69.95 (2-pack)
US: USD 39.95 (1-pack) / USD 69.95 (2-pack)
CAN: CAD 49.99 (only single pack available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks more interesting with the switch connecting to the module. The images from earlier looked odd. like the switch wasn't connected.

If you look in the pictures there is some sort of plug-in connector that you connect to the Line / Switched Line that plugs into the module.

The module also works with push button dimmer switched, allowing you to dim the light in the traditional way.

I assume using a standard 2 position retractive switch though, eg hold once to brighten, hold again to dim?

It's also super slim, 10.2 millimeters / 0.4 inches, so should fit in most wall boxes and the module has two inputs so you can wire it up to two single switches or one switch with a double rocker, or just to one light switch.

I wonder if you can set this up as a wall switch to turn on non-wired hue bulbs, that are in side or standard lamps. That would make it very nice as you could use it in areas with a lot of accent lighting to turn on a group of side lights using the wall switch.

I wonder if you can set this up as a wall switch to turn on non-wired hue bulbs, that are in side or standard lamps

Can't see why it would be any different, it doesn't know where your bulbs are!

That's what I'd be using it for, most of my switches have Shelly Dimmers behind but I still use Hue for lamps. I'd need to fit this unit and a Shelly behind a double light switch though which will be tricky!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom