Philips Hue bulbs for table lamp

scoobydoobydoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Just getting into the Philips Hue ecosystem and have a decent setup with the LED strips.

Want to get table lamps where I can add Hue bulbs - is there anything in particular I should look out for to ensure compatibility with the Hue bulbs?

Specifically, want to be able to remotely control the lamps even when the light is not on. If lamp is plugged in and the light is set to off, will I still be able to control the Hue bulbs?

Or do I need a particular 'type' of lamp?

thanks

Just ensure that the bulbs that you fit (either ES - Edison Screw (ES27) or Bayonet (B22) ) is the same as your table lamp.

If you turn of the switch or power to the lamp, the bulb will not work. Be aware of this because if people have no easy way to control the lamp, they will use the switch. Mine are mostly automated but can be controlled by Alexa - I dont like jabbing virtual buttons on a touch screen unless I have no alternative.

My use case is that the lamp will always be turned on at the socket. The lamp will either have a on/off switch will be used when present in the room.

If I'm out or we're on hols, I'd like to ensure the lamps are able to be activated from the app or scheduled.

Is this possible from the above?

My use case is that the lamp will always be turned on at the socket. The lamp will either have a on/off switch will be used when present in the room.

If I'm out or we're on hols, I'd like to ensure the lamps are able to be activated from the app or scheduled.

Is this possible from the above?

As long as the lamp is fully powered on at the socket and its own switch, then you’ll have full control of it via the app for power and scheduling.

If you want a physical switch for it, then a hue button could be placed discreetly near the lamp for others in the house to use to turn it on/off.

Last edited:
Also make sure it's not one of the 'touch' lamps as they work by touching to switch on and off and you won't be able to use those with hue. I have mine come on using timers so I never have to bother about turning on and off and they work well :)

Really? Is there a difference between touch lamps and lamps with a switch?

Surely, all they really do is send power to the bulb, can't see how it can be any different.

Pls do explain.

Actually I think you are right! It was my previous setup where I had plug sockets that were timers that caused issues with touch lamps :) I think you can probably ignore my statement above because it's just the socket timers that won't work with them.

Touch lamps will kill Hue bulbs as they are not true on/off switches but effectively (very cheap) pwm dimmers. Trying to use them with Hue bulbs causes them to buzz like angry bluebottles, flicker and strobe then rapidly die. Please feel free to experiment, at your own cost.

I've always avoided the touch ones as I prefer proper switches.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom