Philips Hue Bridge

Dony

Distinguished Member
Would anyone have a spare Philips Hue Bridge lying around that they would sell?

My son is leaving to go to Derby Uni Friday 17th. Going through things he's bringing and one of those is his bedside light with a Hue bulb. It's just dawned on me that he'll need a bridge for it to work.

To keep within the forum rules I can setup a Wanted ad if anyone has one available that they would be willing to post.

oneman

You might want to check if the Hue bulb is going to work on their network. I know where my son is due to start they are quite restrictive and I've had friends where for example the wireless printer won't connect to their laptop unless using adhoc connection.

chenks

My son is leaving to go to Derby Uni Friday 17th. Going through things he's bringing and one of those is his bedside light with a Hue bulb. It's just dawned on me that he'll need a bridge for it to work.

if it's one of the new bulbs with bluetooth built-in then you might not need a bridge.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Just to add to @oneman post, to control their network on both wireless and wired connections Uni's have restrictions. Wireless networks use eduroam (including Derby) which allows students at universities to connection seamlessly to any site supporting eduroam. However, things like Echo devices and stuff that doesn't support Enterprise authentication won't necessarily work. So if you are thinking of using Alexa to switch on the lights you will be stuck on two parts.

On the wired, they will often not allow connections to multiple MACs on student's room network connection. You can't use a switch as a result, the workaround is to use a router but that's usually against the T&Cs.

Go for Bluetooth as @chenks says if it is a newer bulb.

Last edited:

Dony

Distinguished Member
Thanks all, I didn't consider any of this. He's also planning on taking his Alexa. He'll be staying at the university halls in the city centre.
I don't think his bulb is Bluetooth.

Need to do more investigating.

oneman

According to their webpage here,

They use the following provider,

They do mention device to device communication but the web page is 6 years old.

What I do suggest is for you child to join the appropriate internal chat and facebook groups, there will be existing students who can help with any questions and being a first time parent of a child going to uni it seems like I have a lot more than my child does who doesn't seem interested in organising anything at the moment.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep so they look like Glide won the renewal for the halls for

So you might well have more luck than eduroam which will be on the main buildings.

MSW

Distinguished Member
If you do want to buy one put a wanted add in the classifieds

I have one for sale so will reply, but, someone else may have one cheaper than mine as well

jabintendo

This might sound stupid but why doesn't he just use it as a normal bulb?
I know there is ease using philips hue, but student halls are usually very small, i don't think there is an added benefit to have voice control when you when you are in a shoebox room.

chenks

This might sound stupid but why doesn't he just use it as a normal bulb?

having no control over colour or brightness would be the obvious thing?
you need the app, and if it's not a bluetooth buld, the hub to be able to control it.
it's not solely about voice control.

oneman

Yep so they look like Glide won the renewal for the halls for

So you might well have more luck than eduroam which will be on the main buildings.
I will say that most uni websites are woefully out of date, maybe because of covid and lake of resources so I wouldn't take anything on any of their websites as gospel and would ring to make sure but I suspect Alexa is probably out of the reach of knowledge for most uni help lines unless you are lucky enough to find somebody who knows from personal experience.

My son is taking Google nest minis with him and a switch but we have it in writing that they will work.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom