Philips Hue App and Galaxy S9

archie2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm not sure if anyone can help with this. I've just got a Samsung Galaxy S9 and I can't get the Hue app to work on it. Says it can't find the Hue bridge.
I did the Smart switch from my S7 to transfer everything over (It still works ok on the S7)
I could see all the lights and routines, but it wouldn't connect to the bridge. I uninstalled the app and tried starting again, but now I can't see anything as it is searching for the bridge as soon as I open the app.
I tried a manual search by entering the IP address of the bridge, but still no joy.
Anyone else having problems or can suggest anything?

Thanks!

It is up to date.

However, I have resolved the issue.
I have 2 internet bands on my router, 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
Bridge is on 5, my phone was on 2.4.
Once I put phone on 5, they connected. I also had to switch on Out of home control in the app so that no matter what band my phone connected to, it connected to the bridge either directly or via the cloud.
My bad entirely!!!

I thought all Hue Bridges were wired only.

It is, but I found that if my phone is connected to my 5GHz band, it says it is connected directly to the bridge, however, if my phone is connected to my 2.4GHz band, it says it is connected to the bridge via the cloud (Out Of Home) connection.
So I guess the bridge wireless signal is 5MHz.

Previously I had been trying to setup the initial connection when my phone was connected to 2.4, but it couldn't see the bridge. It was only when I switched my phone to 5GHz that it saw the bridge.

Does that make sense?

The bridge doesn't have a wireless connection, it connects to your network by the ethernet cable.

In theory it shouldn't matter which method your device connects to the network wioth, it should still be able to access the bridge, unless there's some sort of guest network or isolation enabled on the the 2.4Ghz connection.

Agreed. I do have the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz bands separated out as two different named connection points. I did this on the advice of BT because I was having wifi drop-out issues, although that didn't improve matters!
As I said, when my phone is on the 5GHz connection, the app on my phone shows a direct connection with the bridge.
When it's on the 2.4GHz connection, the app shows as connected via the cloud.

Weird. If you're using a BT hub I don't even think it's possible to isolate a WiFi like that. I'd suggest a router reboot is probably a good idea at this point.

Really? I though it was quite common. I did it with my Sky router too.
Both have the same password, but different names.

image.jpeg

Really? I though it was quite common. I did it with my Sky router too.
Both have the same password, but different names.

View attachment 1080395
That's not the same thing I'm talking about. Isolating a network (sometimes called a guest network) is where you could configure the individual SSIDs to just have internet access but no access to the the local network, so guests could connect to the network but not be able to access local devices like a NAS or Smart devices like your Hue lighting.

Spreading out the bands to different SSIDs is a different thing entirely and is indeed possible on the BT hub, but it shouldn't matter which SSID you connect to, both should still be able to access the local network as indeed they can on my BT hub. My kids have older phones connected to 2.4 and my phone is newer and uses the 5ghz band, we can all access the devices on my local network.

Ah, ok, fair enough.
Strange how the app on my phone wouldn't find the bridge until I connected to 5GHz on the phone.

Oh well, all sorted now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom