Philips HTS3115 - Question for owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Markee, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Hi,

This is a question for Philips HTS3115 owners.

I have had the system for about 3 weeks now, and am very pleased with it.

Now, it does seem to exhibit some weird behaviour in certain modes.

If the unit is used in Tuner or Auxillary modes, and put in standby, the unit will turn itself on in the middle of the night in the mode it was left in when put into standby.

If the unit is used in Disc mode, then put into standby - it stays off as it should.

I have emailed Philips customer support, who have kindly said they will answer my question within 4 working days, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this?

The software revision is V20, I have downloaded rev V22 from Philips website, but am not installaing it until I get an answer.

Cheers

Mark

2. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Any Philps HTS3115 owners out there?

3. M1llion

M1llion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this yesterday for my bedroom set-up and watched a film that night turned the system off to go to to sleep and wife and I awoke a hour later to the roaring sound from the MGM lion (Now that was scary I can tell you). Thought I had not turned it off properly but it may be a similiar problem.

4. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, mine does exactly the same. bit wierd really. I didn't realise it didn't do it in disc mode i just thought it was random. i'll make sure i put it in disc before turning it off now. In the manual it does speak of "software upgrades" so maybe one of those might sort the problem. Please post the Philips response when you get it. Hell of a system for the money, especially the hdmi connection. mainly when it's a decent disc and not bloody Garfield 2 which i had to watch with the kids and it's not a great disc (or film)

5. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I have checked my firmware and it is V20.

I have downloaded V22 from Philips website, but am awaiting their response before I update.

What firmware is yours?

(To check firmware - open disc tray and press display - firmware version will be shown on TV display)

Mark

6. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll check tonight. Probably will be V20 but i'll post tomorrow.

7. M1llion

M1llion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Markee

I will test my one and see if it does the same in tuner mode but as i said before i am pretty sure it did it in disc mode about an hour after i turned off watching Rocky it came alive with that scary MGM lion. My wife is still not talking to me! Good speakers though cos It definitly sounded like a lion was in my bedroom.

8. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    LOL

Yes, it is definetly a good sounding system, better than the Pioneer it has just replaced.

Also, I have had a response from Philips.

They say, basically, they cant comment without inspecting the unit and I should take it back to the shop for it to be inpspected with 'no further inconvienience' to me.

No inconvienience?, have they ever installed a home cinema system?

And it took them 6 days to think of that!

I have sent them a message saying it is unacceptable due to the disruption, and could they confirm whether or not a firmware update will solve it first.

I will keep you informed.

Markee

9. M1llion

M1llion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well is going to have to go back.

It does it in disc mode on mine, had a fight with it last night (this time Warner Bros Logo Music) turned it off came back on 5 mins later, turn it off came back on 5 mins later, threw it out the window knocked on the door 5 mins later!

arghhhhhhhhhhh! Good sound but not good enough to put up with that every night. As you have also experienced problems it will have to be a full refund I am afraid.

I also noticed it effects my digital signal when using the machine for tv sound and just before I threw it out the window it went completely mad making my TV believe there was an scart signal even though it was on standby making my tv flicker continously between scart and co-axial

Hope you have better luck

10. M1llion

M1llion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I did test the tuner for you and that was fine did not come on once

11. Markee

Markee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Wow, sounds like you have a right rebel there!

We will have to rename it the Philips Boomerang cos it keeps coming back (on)!

Should I decide to follow you and go for a refund, what alternatives are there?

Markee

12. mark211277

mark211277
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well mine has now decided not to play discs. i put one in last night and it made scary noises then i pressed open and the tray opened but it had swallowed my disc, then i managed to get it out and tried again. It said it was loading for ages whilst making a scary sound, at which point i gave up. It's going back. What's happened to technology? i took another dvd player back a few weeks ago and that wouldn't play a disc then you'd eject it and close then it would suddenly work. TUT

what a pain in the @rse. I rang comet to make sure i could take it back and they said yes but i have to take the full system which means lifting my carpet up etc. I asked if we could just swap the unit with one from a new system then they could send the "full" system back to phillips but no no no, i have to take it all apart. nightmare!!!!!

13. burc2006

burc2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have the same model and same problem.. Why this happens? Could you get any reply from Philips?
    It is connected to 37PF7331 Philips LCD via HDMI cable and Analog audio cables to satellite receiver. Sometimes turning on itself happens and I dont know why. I also asked Philips and waiting for answer.

14. ADOK13

ADOK13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.I am from greece and i have the same problem.Ithink the promblem is philips and not the hts3115.Anyway,if anybody find the solution,please to help us too.(sorry for my awful english)

15. ADOK13

ADOK13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the problem is the infrared receiver.

16. dacica

dacica
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might have a solution for your problem. I started a thread on a forum from Romania regarding this product and a asked if owners of this system have the same problem with the system turning itself on.

A person who has it, was very happy with it and it never turned itself on, having it connected trough HDMI to his LCD. Then sudden it started to switch itself on. He made some tests with the system, including the remote control, and discovered that the Philips power supplies, that the remote control comes with, are to powerful.
    Some how Philips manage to charge the batteries with 2.35 v , when the normal batteries have only 1.79 - 1.81 v. This causes the remote to send signals independently to the receiver without being handled. He replaced the Philips batteries and now the problem is solved for him.
    Maybe this will help you to, at least i hope so. Good luck.

17. mick74

mick74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, ok so i know its 2 yrs late but the issue is fixed by software/firmware update... v23...

i had the same problem when i got 2 yrs ago and called phillips and they sent out cd/dvd with the new software on it f.o.c

never switched itself back on since

18. mick74

mick74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    doh!!!! me and my big mouth..... its back....
    got another firmware update from philips...v24 but still no joy:thumbsdow

all has been fine for ages, now not sure if this started after i changed it to multiregion or b4... so will try to reset it back to region 2 and see if that makes a diff....
    otherwise philips said take to one of the repairers as its def a software issue... but i'm not so sure?????????

19. mick74

mick74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    changed my system back to region 2 and changed the philips batteries as i read on here about too much power and it sends sigs to the unit...and so turns on

all back to normal again after my mini fixes...
    guess philips software is set for region 2

20. mick74

mick74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mmmmmmmmmmmm so i thought...

not as frequent but still does it now and then....

very irratating thats its back