• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Philips HTR5224 question

HeavenlyWarrior

Prominent Member
Hey folks, I'm debating whether to buy this product for use with my PS3 as its a 7.1 system that advertises HD Audio capabilities through its HDMI input. Looking at its specs though it doesn't mention anything about either Dolby Digital HD, DTS-HD or LPCM. Does anybody have any experience with this or similar units? As my PS3 is outputting as LPCM I'm presuming that this unit simply passes it through the HDMI? What setting do I put it on to know that I am listening to LPCM and not Dolby or DTS once it is hooked up to the console?

Thanks in advance xx

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I believe this phillips system does audio over HDMI.
So to set it up you set the PS3 to decode HD audio and send it via the HDMI cable. Then plug the HDMI into the phillips and you will then have HD audio.
The phillips will detect the decoded sound on the HDMI and play it through the speakers. So no need to set anything as such on the reciever.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
If you are watching a BD then just make sure you have the HD audio track selected on the blu ray disk (some dont play the HD track as default) and if you PS3 is already set to LPCM and is connected to your system via HDMI then you should be getting HD audio.

Cheers

Saf

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom