• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Philips HTL7140B/12 - any good?

OneMoreDave

Novice Member
I recently bought a new flat TV (Samsung UE48JU7000T), as my ancient Toshiba CRT finally started playing up. While the sound isn't as bad as some flat TVs, it could do with a bit of beefing up for movies.

If I go for a soundbar, due to the stand design I am limited to very slim soundbars as it would need to fit in the 40mm gap between the screen and the stand. The Philips would fit the bill, but would it actually sound any good? Obviously the bass should improve, as it has a sub. Does anyone on here have one?

My alternative would be to go for a compact full 5.1 setup (I'm thinking Yamaha RXS601 and Wharfedale DX1 SE), which would obviously sound better, but involve a bit more clutter. So, if the Philips would be good enough for movies (I have a separate hi-fi for music), it would probably be preferable.

MarkE19

Welcome to the forum OneMoreDave :hiya:

I've not heard the Philips soundbar so can't say how good it is. However you do have other options such as a soundbase where the TV stands on it. This also has the advantage (well it is an advantage to me) that there is no separate subwoofer as it is all built in.

I've got the Bose Solo 15 but there are many others such as the Sony HT-XT3

Mark.

OneMoreDave

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply (and the welcome!), Mark.

I had considered a soundbase, but it would have to be a pretty large one as the TV stand is approx. 86cm wide. I looked at the Canton DM100, but its connectivity doesn't seem great (no HDMI, though I guess if I were connecting everything via the TV and using the optical output it wouldn't matter). I'd want to control the volume with the TV remote, though.

I'm also slightly worried about audio delay with these soundbars - the 'bars and TV itself have audio sync options, but they only seem to be able to add audio delay to handle the video being behind the audio. What if I have the opposite problem (which I've read of), where the audio is behind the video? i think I'm beginning to lean towards a proper a/v receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, as it seems like a more tried-and-tested, less issue-prone solution! I have underfloor cable for the rear speakers, so it shouldn't be too messy.

Stuartj1

Thanks for the reply (and the welcome!), Mark.

I had considered a soundbase, but it would have to be a pretty large one as the TV stand is approx. 86cm wide. I looked at the Canton DM100, but its connectivity doesn't seem great (no HDMI, though I guess if I were connecting everything via the TV and using the optical output it wouldn't matter). I'd want to control the volume with the TV remote, though.

I'm also slightly worried about audio delay with these soundbars - the 'bars and TV itself have audio sync options, but they only seem to be able to add audio delay to handle the video being behind the audio. What if I have the opposite problem (which I've read of), where the audio is behind the video? i think I'm beginning to lean towards a proper a/v receiver and 5.1 speaker setup, as it seems like a more tried-and-tested, less issue-prone solution! I have underfloor cable for the rear speakers, so it shouldn't be too messy.

If you have the cabling in place go for a full system.

OneMoreDave

Novice Member
Thanks Stuart - the fact that you're saying that as the owner of a fairly upscale soundbar, is quite telling. It would mean having a few more black boxes around (and also finally junking the VCR to make space in the rack!), but it does sound like it's going to be a more satisfying and less potentially troublesome solution. The RX-S601 looks like a good bet to build it around, I believe Yamaha receivers tend to be pretty solid.

Stuartj1

Thanks Stuart - the fact that you're saying that as the owner of a fairly upscale soundbar, is quite telling. It would mean having a few more black boxes around (and also finally junking the VCR to make space in the rack!), but it does sound like it's going to be a more satisfying and less potentially troublesome solution. The RX-S601 looks like a good bet to build it around, I believe Yamaha receivers tend to be pretty solid.

Your right I have a Samsung sound bar and M3 speakers for rears all controlled over wifi. The system works really well. I used them as I didn't want to mess everything up running wires. If the wires were already there I would have used them. Don't forget a good rule is to have double the value of speakers compared to the receiver.

Probably a good job there was no wires. I would have gone nuts!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom