Philips Hopper SV-20 Colors distorted

JorisS

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2nd hand Philips Hopper SV-20, it had at the time 492 hours on the lamp, and equally many on the projector itself (which as far as I know cannot be reset, contrary to lamp counter... so I'm guessing it's the first lamp and it hasn't been reset).

It worked a blast, me and my girlfriend are loving it. But then all of a sudden two days ago when I turned it on to watch a movie with a friend, a big blue 'square' showed in the top left of the screen. Having dealt with a sudden 20 cm of snow and multiple devices plugged into same outlet, I tried it on another outlet and found the same blue square, albeit in another position (center bottom).

I been a retard because of raising the front a little with my little 'waterpas' (dont know english word, it's one of those things with a little air bubble to make sure when you build something it's hanging straight and such). But never realised it has a small magnet in the bottom... gah!

I wonder if that tiny little magnet (at a distance of about 5 cm) can have ruined the projector completely? I tried cleaning it, fans, filter, etc. No effect.
It worked fine last time I switched it off, it just came out of the blue! Last use it had the little magnet under it already, it didn't show in any obvious way of distorted image and such then anyway...

I realise there's always a risk in buying things 2nd hand, and **** happens. But I just don't understand how it can just mess up like that. And I wonder if anybody knows what actually the problem is? Something with power supply to the lamp? Or did the magnet distort the internal beaming/mirroring?

I enclose a picture to show what I'm talking about. I only have one with the blue area in top left, but trust me in saying it has shown at the other place as well. But always at same spot, not totally random.

Any information/tips/help appreciated!

projector.jpg

*EDIT*

Just turned it back on again, wanted to take a picture with another background, showing the colours better... and now the blue thing is in the bottom, obviously, but it also shows there's a distortion of green next to it:

projector2.jpg

However, without any signal from pc, i only see the blue spot, not the green (rest is black in that case)

P.S. Yes, that's our cat :D

Hard to say for sure, but I doubt your little magnet caused this!

To me, it looks like a problem with the blue LCD panel - you could check that the panels ribbon type connector is seated properly, but apart from that, you're probably looking at a professional repair - and to be honest I think it's debatable whether it's worth the cost!

BTW, if I understand you correctly, your "waterpas" is what we in the UK would call a "spirit level"

dang...

that been some expensive movies i been watching on it then... hehe

thanks for your reply!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom