Philips HDT8520 stuck in first installation - can I access library?

Aogg33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have used a Philips HDT8520 without many issues for the last 18 months. However recently moved country out of UK. Understandably the box cannot tune into signal in our new location but we have still been able to view the (many!) recordings in the library.

Unfortunately today we did a factory reset - have done this in the past and knew that the library was still saved - but this time we are stuck in the first installation set up. It looks like because the box cannot find a TV signal here it will not go past the installation and that means we can't get to the library. The display on the box says 'first install' and on screen it is suggesting that we check signal strength and won't go forward from there.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the box to accept it won't find a signal and just allow us to access the hard disk library?

Thanks

Have used a Philips HDT8520 without many issues for the last 18 months. However recently moved country out of UK. Understandably the box cannot tune into signal in our new location but we have still been able to view the (many!) recordings in the library.

Unfortunately today we did a factory reset - have done this in the past and knew that the library was still saved - but this time we are stuck in the first installation set up. It looks like because the box cannot find a TV signal here it will not go past the installation and that means we can't get to the library. The display on the box says 'first install' and on screen it is suggesting that we check signal strength and won't go forward from there.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the box to accept it won't find a signal and just allow us to access the hard disk library?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

I see from the manual page 13 that it is mandatory to put in postcode and the installation will not complete without it. So try that if you have not already.

Also on page page 13 is a 'What to do if no channels are found'... I don't know if it might be possible to fool the device by pressing yellow for example and then pressing exit on the remote to leave the menu.

The above seems to imply that it is only the postcode issue that may be proving the impedance.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't think we can even get as far as the postcode screen.

What happens is we get to the screen in 3.4 on p13 where no channels are found (we don't get to a point where you can choose a network) - the box display says 'search failed'. When we press yellow to check signal strength there is no signal at all on any channel. Then the only colour option available is red for previous and that goes back to the welcome screen. Pressing other colours / exit /back doesn't seem to do anything at all. In fact I had to turn the box off at the plug because it won't seem to go into standby either when in 'first install'.

Beginning to think we will need to wait to get the box back to the UK and retune then bring it back and never touch it again if we want to just keep access to the library (lots of kids favourites!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom