1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips HDRW720 / Problems with Recording Audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NickHK168, Feb 10, 2005.

1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    To those who own the above machine, I want to ask if any of you has experienced problems with recording audio of TV broadcasted programs.
    My machine sometimes does not record the audio either partially or totally on some TV broadcasted programs. Once I also found unsyc'd audio/video.
    Philips customers service are very cooperative but I am wondering if it's an occurrence limited to my machine or others have experienced the same!?!?
    TIA & B. rgds
    Nick

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    If you do an internet search you'll find quite a few mentions of this on the latest Philip's models. But don't worry because our resident Philips fan (Jethro) will be here to tell you there aren't any problems with Philips DVD recorders in a minute.

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had done a search and was not able to find any references to such specific problem.
    Would you be so kind to point me to a few links if you know where/how to look for relevant threads?
    Thank you!

PS ... this thread was NOT meant to start another discussion on how good (according to some) or how bad (according to some others) this machine is. And I'd be very happy to keep it that way :smashin:

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Such problems could be related to the quality of discs you are using. What make are they, and do you have a PC with DVD drive for getting further information about the media code?

Otherwise your machine is malfunctioning and needs repair.

5. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem occurs when recording onto HDD. I agree with you that it is a machine related problem and that it needs to be repaired.
    The reason why I asked is to see if anybody else had experienced the same problems!?!?
    Thank you!

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would help if you were more specific in the first place then.

I cannot find any similar reports with Philips HDD machines, even on the DVDplusRW forum. Perhaps Rasczak will provide a link or two.

Meanwhile, if you are in the UK, ring 08709 904 071 (ServiceCare, Manchester), and start off your discussion on the repair procedure.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had any sound problems with mine (touch-wood) - If you stop/restart the title, does it make any difference (i.e. Is it a recording or playback problem)?

I updated mine with the latest Philips patch - haven't a clue what it does - i just did it - have you installed it? You can download it from the website - It must be burned as ISO disc image (Nero can do this - you can't just drag/drop to copy)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    Do a search - last reported incident on this forum alone was less than a week ago! - here.

9. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I do not generally have a problem with searches. Your link is to problems with a 610; as you know a non-HDD recorder, and undisputably bug-ridden in a variety of functions.

If you have a more relevant link to the HDRW720 then I'm sure the person with the problem would be grateful.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,258
    ...and a machine that shares components and circuitry design with the machine concerned. As I say if you do a search (with Babelfish) especially you'll find links to this problem on all recent Philips models: DVDR75, DVDR80 and HDRW720. I'm sure you'll appreciate that I'm not going to waste my time supporting Philips users - they've made their bed....

11. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I must say I expected better. We live and learn.

@NickHK168: Good luck with the repair.

12. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you guys!
    Appreciated your efforts.
    As I said earlier, Philips customer service here in Hong Kong is very cooperative and as soon as Chinese New Years holidays are over, they will sort out the problem. I have asked for a replacement of the machine and they are considering it.
    They sent an engineer to my home after three hours from my call. If that is not good service, then I wonder what it is!?!? Hats off to Philips for that!
    Seen that you guys are not aware of the same problem occurring on other machines of the same model (those of you who were aware unfortunately failed to provide a useful link), my conclusion is that it is indeed a problem limited to my machine. And that answers to the ONLY reason why I posted.
    Well, let's see next week.
    Thank you for your inputs!
    Cheers,
    Nick

PS ... FWIW, my machine had the latest software version since day 1!!!