Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips HDRW-720

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by denson, Oct 28, 2004.

1. denson

denson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very impressed with the EPG feature on this machine. My only concern, apart from it being a Philips machine is that I haven't come across a multiregion version of the recorder.
    Can anyone advise as to whether there is any such thing?
    I am looking for a hard drive recorder. The Panasonics do not look nice at all, in fact I am of the opinion that they look dated and so are the Toshibas.
    The Sony's look nice but are expensive. I am wary of other features like quality of pictue etc etc.
    I may have to end up settling for the Pioneer 520 or the Philips. Any ideas?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    This may be of interest Link

Shame looks are so important to you. The panny and the tosh have some very useful features not found on the phillips

3. denson

denson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from looks, the EPG feature seems like a very good selling point. How does the Toshiba compare then?

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The EPG is the ONLY thing the Philips has in its favour.There is so much you can do with HDD models from ANY other make

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    One thing to note about the EPG - it may not be around forever. In the US Guideplus was adopted by Sony, Panasonic, Philips and other major producers. In the UK a lack of bandwidth meant Sony and Panasonic declined the Service leaving Philips as the sole supporter. It is unlikely then that the UK version Guideplus is commercial viable.

If you want a DVD recorder with an EPG then consider the Sony GXD500 (non-HDD model) or wait until next year when a whole host of them will be available - the Toshiba RDXS34 for example.

6. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Part of the decision process. The EPG is a selling point. but as raczak has said, it may have no future in the UK in the form that Philips have used it. If the EPG is important go for the Phillips.

But it appears to be limited in editing and if this is important the panny and tosh will be better.

I cant tell you which one is best, all I can say is I wouldnt discount machines because they look dated.

7. Rebecca

Rebecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been a Philips HDRW720 user for several weeks, until I changed it for a Tosh 10 days ago.
    Although I liked EPG at the beginning and thought it was a good feature, I hardly used it at all. The problem was that the information in it was not very accurate, much less than Teletext. Usually, the start and end times were wrong, and sometimes even the dates were wrong. At the end, I programmed most of the recordings manually. I did not trust it at all.
    I contacted GuidePlus to find out the reason for such programming errors, and they told me that stations didn't communicate their programmes in time and so on.
    Therefore, that feature was completely useless for me.

I do not know if the Tosh looks dated or not, that is very subjective. All I can say is that it is a much much powerful machine than the Philips. I have used both and the differences are huge. Also, the Philips front panel has too many lights, especially when you are recording. If you are watching TV in a dark room, it can be really disturbing. I had to put something on it so that the front panel was covered. The Tosh panel is much 'softer' and comfortable. I mention this because people usually judge appearance when they are switched off, but not when they are on.

Kisses.
    Rebecca. ;)

8. JethroUK

JethroUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have HDRW720 and find the EPG totally indepensable - I found it very accurate so far (more accurate than my TV mag for timings)

Apart from the tediously easy programming, I cant (for the life of me) figure out how the hell you would know what program was what on your HD since the EPG also titles mine (which is also great when you dump to DVD later) - it also knows which program is on which channel at any time, so when you're channel surfing through LIVE tv, it tells you what the program is currently playing (without waiting for adverts to finish or figure out what's on)

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Hope you won't miss it when GuidePlus UK folds then...

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be great recording all that stuff to the Philips.Either analogue quality or nice red dots on digital pix