1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips HD plasma 42pf9966

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by xyzebra, Oct 16, 2004.

1. xyzebra

xyzebra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    recently saw one of these and was blown away...

I cannot find ANYTHING on this panel on the internet...The HD picture was incedible but I am concerned whether the analog picture is good also...
    I know philips has come a long way with line doublers, pixel plus etc and the new ambi light...

Does anyone have any feedback on this panel?

thanks.

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You didn't look very hard then!! Put '42pf9966' into Google, and the first page has a Cnet preview, and a review from T3.

My experience with Philips TVs had rather soured my opinion of them. They do put some nice features in there, but I've seen too many reliability issues (note that was with CRTs).

I'm also firmly of the opinion that we are far enough away from (a significant amount of) HD content to make it pointless to spend a premium on a HD screen. And HD screens need a good scaler to show SD content well. Pixel Plus 2 is good, but in some cases you may want to turn it off - an SD panel would give better picture with SD content in those cirucmstances.

3. xyzebra

xyzebra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a lot of the indepth websites don't review Philips, like "plasmatvbuyingguide.com"

I've had a high end pioneer and after 4 years it went bad ...This time around I am trying to blend cost AND performance...

Hopefully the Philips will do it...

Thanks.