1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Hard Disk DVDR520H or JVC MH20EK Hard Disk DVD Recorders. Whos best??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul O, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I'm going to upgrade my DVD Recorder because my Philips 880 is driving me up the wall with its tantrums all the time.

The first is the Philips DVDR520H £350. It has a built in Hard Disk and DVD Recorder. However, I've had lots of problems with the current Philips machine - have they got any better? Forums are suggesting not. My Girlies folks have a new Philips TV too, and thats been back to the factory 3 times in 12 months. My mate had one of their TVs and that went back twice. Do they make good stuff any more, or are they a now a nasty brand with a big price tag??

Anyhows, my other choice is the JVC DR-MH20EK £300. This looks nice, but haven't seen a review to compare it to the Philips. Are JVC machines any good? I have one of their VCRs and it hasn't broken in 8 years, so thats good going! Is the interface any good, and is it "missus friendly"??

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

:smashin:

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How old is your Philips 880, and do you have proof of purchase?

3. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Unfortunately I haven't got the proof of purchase, but the company I bought from are very good. I've called them today, and its 2 years and 3 weeks old, so I'm just out of guarantee!! They are going to call Philips and see if they will repair it anyway, so fingers crossed. Its been faulty for ages, but I don't use it much so could live with it. However, its developed more symptoms now which make it practically unusable. Ifthey do repair it (and I hope they do!) then I think I'll sell it on.

I've had a look at the JVC review (thanks ElchenUK :smashin: ) and it looks like a great machine. Shame about the RGB input though (I don't think my cable box has S-VHS, but I've got a Scart -> SVHS adapter, although not sure if its worth it for the quality difference?!) I think I'm going to get one of these, as less than £300 seems a decent price :thumbsup:

5. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just a quick question about the JVC machine - does it let you record to the Hard Disk and watch a DVD at the same time?

Cheers,

Paul.

6. JimmyGrimble

JimmyGrimble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As with nearly all the hard disk recorders, the JVC will indeed allow viewing of dvds or anything already on the hard disk while recording something else.
    had mine 2 months am well satisfied.
    bought for £295 but now available for £260 :thumbsup: Bargin!!

7. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Excellent! Do you know if it has a passthrough for the Scart lead? I have to plug in the Cable box into my DVD-Recorder, and then into the TV (lack of Sockets on the TV).
    At the moment, when the DVDR is off, Cable goes through and when the DVDR on, I have a button on the remote for TV/DVD which either lets you watch what the DVD is recording, or send the Cable picture directly to the TV.

Anyone know if the JVC will do this too?

Thanks in advance!

8. redheat

redheat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul O, I have the DR-MH30 to answer your question, Yes in has pass through when the unit is in standby. The only think I have found is that to watch out for early models (i have one) which suffer from DVD firmware problems, it is at the moment back at JVC. The problems are on recorded DVD's:

1: Loss of sync on sound in some scenes.

2: Scenes suddenly speed up as if the fast forward has been hit, this last just a few seconds but has no relationship to the scene being viewed.

and

3: Eject lock ups.

Harddisc side works a treat, and only found the problems lately after watching a produced DVD all the way through (after transferring 50 hours from VHS)

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all!

Well, I just purchased one of these babys (The JVC 20) for £251 including postage. Hurrah!

Arrived on Tuesday and have to say I think its marvellous! A little complicated at first (the first product I've bought where I actually read the instructions), but now I've got it working how I like it I'm loving it. I have set the timers up for my favorite regular programs, and it just tapes them every week. Wow!! Fantastic! :clap: It feels much more solid and reliable in operation than my old Philips, which is a bit flimsy by compairson (menu operations, time it takes to do anything etc)

Thanks for warning Redhead, I'll be sure to check this carefully when I record anything. I suspect its a new model (hopefully) as the company had only just got the stock in recently, and had nearly sold out.

Thanks to all for the info! :smashin:

10. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I have got the JVC model mentioned above, and today have come to try and delete a timer programme which I have set for every week.

I go into the Programme list per the instructions, then highlight the timer programme that I want to delete. I get the Options "Cancel", "SKip Week" or "Modify".

The instructions say to select "Cancel", however, this just cancels the action and takes you back to the menu! Skip week does as it says, and modify just amends the times!! :confused: :mad:

Can anyone help please, as I don't want it to record this programme any more! I've managed to make it skip a week so that it doesn't interfere with everything else.

Help!! :lease: