PHILIPS Garbo Matchline

I

infomatique

Philips are about to launch two new projectors ... the GARBO and the GARBO MATCHLINE. Can anyone help me to find out the difference between these two units.

Originally posted by Chris Frost
Differences:

Matchline has higher contrast, is brighter at 1100 ANSI thanks to better optics and LCD panels. It also comes supplied with a Pronto Neo learning remote control. SBCRU930

Regards

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I already have the Monroe and am very pleased with it however a friend of mine had more or less decided to buy one but is now considering the Garbo or the Garbo Matchline.

Hmmm, the Philips web site doesn't seem to distinguish between the two models - I can only find information on the Garbo (not the Matchline version).

Can you tell me what the contrast ratio and output are for the two?

I have 400:1 and 800 Lumens for the Garbo on the Philips web site but the Philips brochure (which I can only find here) says 1000 lumens.

I'm considering getting a Garbo very soon (had been considering a Monroe but now it's worth waiting for the Garbo).

Michael.

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a Garbo Matchline myself too. The contrast on the matchline is indeed 500:1 and the lumens 1100 (at least that's what I'm told :). I saw one here in the Netherlands go for 3000 Euro, while the normal garbo in the same store costs about 2600 Euro. I send a mail to the shop asking for a demo. When I hear back I'll report.

The lumens figures found on websites and in early press releases and some brochures were for the original LCD panels. However, since that information was released were have been able to improve the quality of the LCD panels. They are now more efficient, this gives us brighter images from the same lamp power.

Garbo - 1000 ANSI Lumens, 400:1 contrast ratio
Garbo Matchline - 1100 ANSI Lumens, 500:1 CR

Garbo Matchline is due for a UK launch on November 4th.

Regards

I can't find any mention of the resolution of the LCD panels in the press release!

Have I missed it, I would have thought this was as important as the contrast ratio!

Thanks ... Pat

If the resolution is only 858 x 484 that explains why the press release says it is "HDTV ready" but doesn't give a resolution.

I think the expression is "being economical with the truth"!

Pat

Originally posted by PJM
If the resolution is only 858 x 484 that explains why the press release says it is "HDTV ready" but doesn't give a resolution.

I think the expression is "being economical with the truth"!

Pat

Pat,
That comment was a little harsh don’t you think? Press Releases are designed to give journalists a quick overview of a product and where it is pitched in the market.

You’ll also notice from the Press Release that we don’t discuss
- Progressive Scan inputs via component and RGB,
- Philips own high quality de-interlacer,
- multiple aspect ratio switching
- or that the Pronto Neo* remote is programmable via your PC just like the Pronto and Pronto Pro remotes,
- that the R,G & B drive levels can be individually adjusted and the settings stored,
- or that the product has a lamp saver mode,
- or that we have Digital Keystone adjustment,
- that there are special aspect ratios for use with subtitled films,
- that the menu system includes onscreen help for features,
- or that we a 6Watt speaker (3 times larger than average),
- the high optical quality of the lens,
- or that the lamp is a user changeable part…yet all these are features are present in the Garbo range too.

Perhaps you have confused the function of a Press Release with that of a brochure/spec sheet?

I am happy to provide as much technical detail as is available and answer any technical question to the best of my ability directly and openly within this forum. All you have to do is ask.

* Supplied as standard with the Garbo Matchline

Regards

Chris,

I don't think I am being harsh.

Your press release says that the projector is "fully HDTV-Ready" when in fact it's native mode is basically NTSC. Thiswould mean that just by putting a converter into any TV set a claim could be made that it was "fully HDTV-Ready".

If you had said it was "HDTV compatible" I would have just about accepted that.

I agree that it was only a press release but I think they should be more accurate.

Perhaps you could point us to a technical document so that we can see what the specs are.

Pat

There's a brochure with reasonably full specs here:

http://www.beamer.at/pdf/philips/Garbo_borchure_updEP.pdf

..allthough that's for the regular Garbo, not the Matchline. I believe though that apart from increased contrast and lumens the Matchline is technically identical (Chris please correct me if I'm wrong).

PJM - the fact that the Garbo will accept 720p and 1080i input signals means that it fully supports HDTV standards in a way that most TVs won't. I don't think that "HDTV ready" is misleading at all.

I'm interested to see how the Garbo will compare to the new Sony HS10 which has 1366x788 panels, 700:1 contrast and 1000 lumens and by all indications won't be that much more expensive than the Garbo. If the Sony is any good I think Garbo prices might have to go quite a bit lower...

Michael.

Michael,

Thanks for the posting the specs.

I like you am waiting to see what the Sony HS10 performs like. It looks like a bargain if it's around the £2K mark!

Chris,

I'm glad to see that firms are finally quieting their PJ's down, 27dB is quite impressive. Unfortunately I'm looking for a native HD display otherwise I might have given it a go!

It is nice though to see firms responding on the newsgroups.

Pat

I am brand new to the projector scene. But the Matchline looked like a decent projector to start with. Granted the Sony has WXGA instead of WVGA and higher contrast. But the Matchline is cheaper, produces less noise and has 6000 hrs on the lamp.
And I read the Monroe (of which the garbo is the succesor) got some pretty good reviews.
Do you guys think I'll be allright with the Matchline, or that I should definetly wait to compare it to the Sony? Overall cost is a consideration for me so cheaper and long bulb live or quite important to me. How much of a difference is their between 700:1 and 500:1 contrast and WXGA/WVGA in picture quality (when used for watching DVD (80%), playing games (20%), table mount setup, sitting approx 4 meter from the screen (117cm by 200cm)) by the way?? Is it huge or could one be perfectly happy with 500:1 and WVGA.
Still leaning towards the Garbo, but any advice would be appreciated.........

Originally posted by drugarth
IStill leaning towards the Garbo, but any advice would be appreciated.........

I have the Monroe and I really like it and I suspect that the Garbo (either model) is a good deal better.

The Garbo is available from www.computeruniverse.com (Germany) at about Euro 2600 and I suspect that the Matchline version will cost Euro 3000 or less.

6000 hours bulb life is a very attractive feature and the noise level at 27DB is impressive (much less than the Monroe).
The Matchline also has Picture In Picture and an excellent remote control.

I don't think you can go far wrong which eirher of the Garbos

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom