Question Philips Fidelio X2HR with FiiO D03K DAC (TV use)

JRyder

Hi all,

I'm about to buy the Fidelio X2HR headphones, primarily for watching films on my Panasonic GZ950 TV. My intention is to plug them straight into the headphone output of the TV. I'm not very clued up on audio, but would the sound quality be improved if I added a DAC to the equation? I was thinking about getting a FiiO DO3K to connect to the TV's optical output, unless there are any better TV-friendly DAC options that won't break the bank. Or would it not make much difference?

Thanks for any advice.

Steven

Senior Moderator
To answer whether X external DAC / headphone amp would sound better we would have to know the quality of the DAC and headphone amp built-in to the television

I would not spend more money now on a DAC / headphone amp as it may be a waste of money.

Wait for the headphones to arrive first and you might be perfectly happy with the sound when plugging into the television headphone jack

JRyder

To answer whether X external DAC / headphone amp would sound better we would have to know the quality of the DAC and headphone amp built-in to the television

I would not spend more money now on a DAC / headphone amp as it may be a waste of money.

Wait for the headphones to arrive first and you might be perfectly happy with the sound when plugging into the television headphone jack
Thanks for your quick response. I'm struggling to find any specific information on the TV with respect to the built-in DAC and headphone amp. However, I think your advice is good, so I'll see how the headphones sound on their own first. I have a habit of getting carried away with these things. Thanks again.

whuelse

Standard Member
I have the X2HR for @9 months and until now, I havent felt the need for a dedicated amp.
I have used it with my Oneplus 7tPro, various laptops, Denon amp. The laptops give it all the oomph, I need - even at @50% vol. If anything, it feels a bit underwhelming on the mobile but I think it is cause of the USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor I am using. I have been meaning to get a better adaptor- but "fake" reviews on Amazon dont make that easy.

JRyder

I have the X2HR for @9 months and until now, I havent felt the need for a dedicated amp.
I have used it with my Oneplus 7tPro, various laptops, Denon amp. The laptops give it all the oomph, I need - even at @50% vol. If anything, it feels a bit underwhelming on the mobile but I think it is cause of the USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor I am using. I have been meaning to get a better adaptor- but "fake" reviews on Amazon dont make that easy.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I soon realised that I don't need an amp with these headphones. I plug mine straight into my TV and I only have them at 30% volume. I'm really enjoying these headphones and they're brilliant for watching films, due to their big soundstage.

whuelse

Standard Member
Glad it helped.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I soon realised that I don't need an amp with these headphones. I plug mine straight into my TV and I only have them at 30% volume. I'm really enjoying these headphones and they're brilliant for watching films, due to their big soundstage.

Delore

I know you're both saying it doesn't need one but have either of you compared them with and without an amp?

Got a pair ordered from Amazon that will be in stock next week and was considering picking up a fiio k5 pro to go with them.

Been trying some Bluetooth headphones recently but haven't been keen on the closed in sound from them for TV/movies and can't seem to find any open back ones. Needing APTX LL really limits choices too so decided to go the wired route.

Delore

Had them delivered today and they sound really good plugged into the AVR so far. Need to crank the volume right up but can still go much louder than I could comfortably use them at.

Have a Fiio K5 Pro dac/amp on the way too but unless it magically makes them sound even better, which I doubt, it will be going back.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom