Philips DVR-980 problem and The Law

michaelm

Banned
A friend has had a philips DVR-980 recorder for about 15 months, which she bought mail order. It has developed a fault in that when it reaches near the end of a disc (any disc, +R or +RW) it gives a disc error and the recording is unreadable.

I have stripped the machine down and cannot see any fault with the disc tray or mechanism, and the laser head and track appear to be okay.

I reckon it would be pretty expensive to repair this machine. But then I thought about the law governing consumer electrical equipment which, I believe, states that electrical equipment should work for a "reasonable period of time" without breakdown or else the owner can claim a repair or (part) refund if it doesn't.

How long would be considered "reasonable" and would it apply in this case?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
IMHO your best bet is to contact Philips directly - I know it is out of warranty but there is a good chance they will still fix it. Worth a try anyway.

GGTVBD

A friend of mine had a Sanyo TV, 28" widescreen, under 3 years old. Tube failed - contacted Sanyo with an engineers report. Sanyo's response? goodwill gesture - tube half price £110+VAT but no contribution to labour charges. Estimate based on this was £200+.

Trading Standards advised that it is up to you as the customer to prove the equipment has a 'manufacturing defect'. Unless you can prove that, they say you have very little chance of any goodwill.

Despite much arguing and threats of small claims court, he got nowhere.

Result - 1 scrapped telly.

BTW. If you've had the top off then your warranty is null and void!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom