Philips DVP9000s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SuziB, Aug 25, 2005.

1. SuziB

SuziB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has ben lauded quite a bit on the forums yet the latest 'What Hifi' has panned it big time -giving it only a two star rating and saying the quality of picture is far below what is expected at the price! Basically, it had absolutely nothing good to say about it other than it looks 'sleek'!!!!

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    That's interesting! Do you know which connection they were using for the evaluation?

The thing is, I would tend to agree - the DVP is overpriced at around £400.00, especially if being assessed for its picture quality alone. Subjectively speaking I think the Panasonic S97 gives a better image through HDMI... but it is reasonably close! I think the RRP of the Panny was around £300.00...

I thought the Philips came into its own with CD and SACD - in this regard it seemed much better than the Panny; build quality is also superior.

Having said all that - if WHiFi's DVD player proved as quirky as mine I can understand their appraisal... especially as picture adjustments are practically impossible when using HDMI. :thumbsdow

I get the feeling that, a little like its predessessor the 963, the DVP9000 will polarize views - some will love it, whilst others will think it's pants! :)

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well, we're just back from the weekly Asda trip :eek: and I had a peek at the article in question. It all seems a bit odd to me! The reviewer ends the article suggesting that a Yamaha S1500 would be a better buy, with better picture quality. And this is at a price of £400.00! Now, I am led to believe that the S1500 is basically the same as the S2500, but without HDMI. I also believe that the S2500 is a clone of the Philips DVP9000, with a few extras such as DVD Audio!

I wonder if the reviewer, unable to adjust picture settings on the DVP9000, was simply, and understandably, unimpressed with the image. I'm happy with my DVP9000 as any picture adjustments can be achieved on my AE700... although I am hopeful that Philips will release a firmware update. :)

4. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Philips DVD963SA, and IMO the sound is very good on CD and on SACD, CD being better than my £400 Marantz CD6000Ki Signiature, and it's only since I had it that I feel that I enjoy CD. I think there has been a lot of focus on Philip's part on the sound quality of this line of players. Hifi World, a magazine in which I have *much* more confidence that What Hifi, gave the 963 a rave review on the basis of it's sound quality. A lot of the discussion above is about DVD picture quality, and I think may be missing the point of the player.

5. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I have owned and sold the 9000 and it was a good move. Its a frustrating player! The SACD quality is OK and in general video quality via hdmi was very good. The problems are minor but many. e.g. There is no dvd-a support, you cannot eject the disc via the remote (bizarre), discs can take an eternity to spin up. I know these are minor but frustrating. Biggest pain - lets say you are playing a SACD or CD, when you activate audio direct to switch off video circuits the disc restarts! Play a SACD or CD with the plasma off and then switch the plasma on and low and behold as soon as it detects the hdmi connection the disc restarts.

IMHO it would be worth around £150 tops

my two peneth

Rob

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Rob - As a workaround for ejecting a disc try pressing and holding down the STOP button on the remote :)

7. lunken

lunken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone sort this out for me? :lease:

I've heard that 9000s sends computerblack instead of videoblack over component and HDMI. (i'm not sure about the english terms for this different blacks). This is not a good match for my Sony VPL-HS50 that wants videoblack for best performance. :nono:

On the other hand I've also heard that HDMI equal videoblack, so i'm quite confused :confused:

The problem with the HS50 and computerblack is that the dark scenes get less detailed and little to dark for my taste. Maybe the philios9000 ain't the good choice for my setup.

/K

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have always wondered why you would want to have an eject button on the remote: after all, you have to get up to change or insert a disc anyway, so where is the benefit?

Russell