philips dvp720sa sound

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jasi, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there!
    Like many others I recently bought the philips dvp720sa so I was hoping someone might know whether it is possible to bypass the internal equaliser settings. When the 'sound' button is pressed during both cd and dvd playback it switches between a few different presets which I assume means that it's decoding the sound, changing it, and then sending it to the amp to be decoded again - sounds strange so maybe I got it wrong?
    While on the subject of this player has anyone managed to get rid of the multi angle icon which shows whenever the option is available? - I just watched an entire film with that stupid thing showing and would prefer not to again!
    Is there perhaps any new firmware which sorts out these things?
    Thanks ever so much for your help! :thumbsup:

2. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Sadly I dont have any definitive answers. I thought that sound set to digital was a bypass - at least its flat anyway. As for your angle on screen I have only seen it appear for a few seconds at the begining then go off. Ive used mine every day for the last couple of weeks and so far im pretty impressed especially with my sacds. Better than either of my pioneers that get such great reviews.
    regards

4. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, thanks for the reply - I have a feeling that the digital preset doesn't bypass it since it just sounds the same as 'rock' - far too heavy on the bass compared to other players and the PC - 'classic' sounds more similar to other sources. I suppose yours is connected via the analogue outs then? maybe that would make a difference...

5. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    Yes mine is connected to 6ch out which I use to play music ,for dvd I use digital. You maybe right about it not actually bypassing any thing. I know what you mean about the settings - on my system all the settings are more or less the same apart from classic which on mine is bass light which is why I dont use it. It depends on your sub settings and stuff. I set my system for movies which means usually its a bit bass light with music so thats why the digital setting is fine. I guess yours is probably the other way round. Saves me from having to change the eq on the sub.
    Regards