Philips DVP642 doesn't have a DTS logo, will it output DTS?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pring4, May 27, 2004.

1. Pring4

Pring4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have been looking all over the internet and not found a conclusive answer.

I, like many others, recently got this Philips DVP 642 unit at CompUSA for $70. Granted, the picture quality is mediocre, but for a college student like me, $70 is well worth it.

But I when I tried playing two DVDs with DTS sound, I ran into a problem. Gladiator, when set to DTS, played the little DTS intro then went into the film. My Harmon/Kardon AVR110 picked up the optical digital signal as DTS and continued to play normally. When I popped in Road Trip and set that on DTS, when the DTS intro started the unit displayed a message on the screen that said "Cannot Decode DTS Signal." The odd part was that my receiver still picked up the signal as being DTS.

Neither the box nor the unit have the DTS logo on it, and I cannot find anywhere on the Philips website that says that it supports DTS. So what is the deal? Im thinking maybe that the DVD player outputs the digital DTS signal, but that it is not real DTS quality.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    Thanks...

2. jmb

jmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVP 642 does not have a built in DTS decoder. You can output the raw signal from the unit to a receiver via the optical connector. If your receiver is capable of decoding dts then you're good to go. Hope this helps. :thumbsup: