Philips DVP 5960 or 5980

compact

Standard Member
Sorry if this has already been covered.

But I have just bought the DVP 5960 for £50 (seemed okish considering all the faffing with p&p etc).
I don't need the top 1080, as i have a normal CRT, just want to watch dvix via the USB.

Does it really matter for the average user, or should I leave it in the package, take it back and get a 5980?

Cheers

dibdab

Only difference as far as i can see is 1080p and DTS sound through a surround amp.

I maybe wrong about DTS, there may have been a firmware hack that resovled that and i'm just not aware.

chris57

But I have just bought the DVP 5960 for £50 (seemed okish considering all the faffing with p&p etc).
I don't need the top 1080, as i have a normal CRT, just want to watch dvix via the USB.

Does it really matter for the average user, or should I leave it in the package, take it back and get a 5980?

Cheers

You will have saved yourself a few quid getting the 5960 as opposed to the 5980. The only difference is that the 5980 does 1080p whereas the 5960 only goes up to 1080i.

Not a problem when watching on your 720 CRT. There are also some non-phillips firmwares available for the 5960 but none around yet for the 5980.

The firmwares add useful features and can be found here:-
http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012

The Bear

Does anyone know if the difference in quality between 1080i and 1080p upscaling is noticeable with a 1080p supporting LCD?

dibdab

Does anyone know if the difference in quality between 1080i and 1080p upscaling is noticeable with a 1080p supporting LCD?

I think it depends on the TV to be honest.

Smackie

Standard Member

Cheers

I just got myself a 5980 as I recently bought a Tosh 42X3030 which support 1080p. Otherwise I would have gone for 5960.

Like you, the most important thing for me is to play divx files off USB drive. Out of the box, it didn't work with my Sandisk Cruser drive - very disappointed. Had a search this board, I found a thread on the supported drive on this player and realised the U3 function is preventing the drive from being recognised. Removed U3 and voila! Played my files and even allowed me to FF, RW etc - which my ****** old player can't.

VERY happy with the purchase.

depending on what USB flash you use, I would recommend checking the support drive thread (just search) before you buy the player.

F

falcon12345

Smackie, what exactly is U3 function and how do you remove it?

J

jifster

I saw the 5960 on Amazon the other day for 40 quid but stalled my purchase. I checked again yesterday and it's upto 80 again. Damn!

I notice Argos have it for around 50 but they don't seem to have stock when I checked on the web.

Can someone please confirm the player has a scart socket, thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom