PHILIPS DVDRs - USB updating

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by riViera, Feb 2, 2009.

1. riViera

riViera
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The info supplied by Philips for updating firmware gives the option of using USB for those machines having that facility.
    WARNING ! Do not use the USB route, it can corrupt your machine leaving it showing 'Starting ' in the display and being unusable.
    Following is statement from Philips Consumer Care ;

'Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you are experiencing with
    your DVDR5570H, as some time uploading software via USB can result in files
    becoming corrupted when transferred to USB.'

You might ask why, if Philips know of this problem, they are still suggesting it as a means of updating your firmware, I certainly did, when arranging the return of my 5570H which is a very attractive doorstop, of course I did'nt get an answer !

You have been warned. :rolleyes:

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    I cannot let this go unremarked.

This is not principally a problem of using USB as the method of updating firmware.
    It is a problem of updating firmware by ANY method.

If there is corruption either in the source or the delivery of the firmware, irrespective of the method then it will 'brick' a unit.

It is always a risky procedure.

3. riViera

riViera
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with you totally Gavtech, but the point, surely, is that Philips tech staff are not warning people about the dangers of updating with DVD are they? I am simply expressing my opinion based on successfully updating previously with DVD, and unsuccessfully with USB, and passing on the warning from Philips, I'm no ' techie ', so I presume the people employed by Philips know more about it than I do, when they suggest that the transfer rate of USB makes it a problem, then I for one am not about to argue with them.
    I presume expressing an opinion is permitted on this Forum, all I know is my DVDR5570 was knackered by using this route. Anyway it has been repaired under warranty and I expect it to wing its way home shortly, and I will only consider the DVD route in the future, and if this information prevents some other people messing their machines up then this posting has been worthwhile.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Yes - of course it is... and given your experiences your point is entirely understandable.
    My point is simply that I think you are misinterpreting Philips statement... or more accurately, they have made their statement rather clumsily.

I doubt they are intending to say that it is actually the method of using USB [ instead of disc] is the problem...... If this were really a known risk it would be pretty big news.
    Well there is no harm in that... and of course, I could be wrong,and there is actually a problem with the USB route.
    I just would expect Philips to have a 'APB' out about it if it were the case.

But it will help to concentrate users minds in regard to the risks of firmware updating.
    Good luck with your machine.

5. auto78900

auto78900
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats strange, the more and more weblinks I find on this machine, the sorrier I get for purchasing this unit.
    Also I asked on an Australian forum, if it can get a virus infection and the answer was no. Well if something as simple as a firmware update can stuff up this unit then I'm sure a virus infection via the usb most likely can.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    As implied earlier, firmware updating should not be regarded as 'something as simple'

It is equivalent to removing the brain and replacing it with another, and if this process gets interrupted for any reason, with any piece of equipment the result would be the same.

That aspect is not a flaw that is peculiar to this machine.