Philips DVDR980 Recorder Laser Repair

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lscolman, May 28, 2004.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

Has anyone had a Philips DVD Recorder repaired for a reasonable price, that they can recommend?

My unit is suffering the now famous DISC ERROR problem, and I would like to get it sorted.

Can anyone help?

Cheers, Lee

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It can't be old enough to be beyond the sale of goods act protection. Take it back to the supplier and insist they fix or replace it. I had no problems getting argos to replace a camcorder which was nearly 2 years old when it developed a fault.
    They may try and fob you off, saying its out of warranty, but it should work for several years without problems, and they know this and have a legal duty to sort it out.

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I just got a 980 repaired under warranty and it was bought in October 2002. I contacted Philips in Dublin (sorry, I don't have the tel no) and told them I didn't have mey proof of purchase and they asked me to quote the manufacturing code on the back of the machine. They can tell if it's still under warranty from this code. Basically, the first 2 letters of this code are the country of manufacture, the first 2 digits are the year of manufacture and the following 2 digits are the week of manufacture. Mine says AH0232 meaning it was manufactured in the 32nd week of 2002. There is a 2 year warranty on all Philips recorders (even an authorised service centre did not know that) and even after this, the sale of goods act should cover you for at least another couple of years.

I have another problem, which has always been present on playback, that scart output has a blue-ish tinge to it. This is not present on the S-Video or composite playback. I've routed the scarts to my tv via my Sky box (for RGB playback), a composite-only scart and an S_Video scart and it's the same on all 3, even with several different cables.