Philips DVDR980 coming up with "AB FF2FCF" Any ideas?!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mrbriggs, Jul 8, 2005.

1. mrbriggs

mrbriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, OK, havn't been on these forums for a while, so forgive me for being a bit behind.

I have just managed to pick up a Philips DVDR980 off ebay. It was sold as faulty, but doesn't sound too bad. It plays and records but every now and then, it comes up with an error saying 'AB FF2FCF'. (Or something similar!)

Does anyone have any ideas what this means? I havn't actually got the recorder yet, it should be with me by monday. Just wanted to find out what was wrong before I start tinkering!

Also, I hear there are firmware upgrades for this. Where can I get the latest firmware update for this machine?

Thanks so much.

Lee

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No records of this quoted analogue board fault, but you really need to be accurate about the code.

Firmware upgrades are to be found on the Philips website. Make sure you have the right country code (DVDR980/xxx) for your machine before selecting the download.

Just don't get your hopes up...

3. mrbriggs

mrbriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where can I get a list of all the error codes?

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you search on this forum for the exact code, you may get some information.

It's the old DVDplusRW forum which was taken over by CD Freaks. The forum is static so no-one can contribute to it, but it's a useful resource of knowledge for the older Philips machines.

5. mrbriggs

mrbriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Couldn't find anything about the error on there. When I get it on monday/tuesday, I will do a firmware update, hard reset it (how do you do this again?) and try it out.

Thanks for all your help so far. Any other ideas, let me know!!! Is there any way I could get philips to repair it?

Lee.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You do a hard reset by powering on at the mains plug with the 'ON' button held in. Easy to do if you've got three arms.

Yes, but you'd probably have to pay since you bought it as a faulty unit. If the previous owner will let you have the proof of purchase then that's a different matter, but the 98x series are over 2 years old now and probably out of even the extended warranty.

No harm in trying though.