1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR890 vs Panasonic DMRE30EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bobthebuilder, Feb 21, 2003.

1. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which of the above two are better?

I am currently looking at the 890 since it has a coaxial output for audio. Is there much difference between coaxial and optical? If so, by how much and is it noticable?
    Also, what is the price difference between the two type of media used?

Please do not recommend me other recorders. It is either the 890 or the E30.

Thanks in advance.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If you spend a little time using the search function on this forum you will find your question has been answered many times before.

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    BOB I have the 890 and i am very happy with it,i get my dvd+r from www.bigpockets.co.uk 25 dvd+r for £30 -£45.

4. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    And just to confuse you / even things out

I have the E20 (E30's near identical predecessor) and love it; it's replaced my VCR; the RAM recording and partial deleting functionality is excellent, and the media I use is from SVP communications at
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html
    who sell a range of dvd-r discs at 50 for £34.50. (I've had only 2 coasters out of over 150 recordings.)

Now, go look through the previous posts and make your mind up!
    Happy reading...
    Cheers,

5. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi bobthebuilder As a user of both the E20 and the E30 as far as I am concerned the Panny format is the best of the best games in Town. Superb format and excellent make.

As others have suggested if you back track over other threads and read other forums you should have your answer without there being any doubt at all !!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes::)

6. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to go with the Philips. The reason for this is that it is miles more compatible than the Panny. Also, it has a coaxial output, which will give me better audio.

If it had a coaxial output I probably would have gone with the Panny from the get-go. But it doesn't.

7. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Good luck with the Phillips, I wonder just how compatible it really is. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I just bought the panny E30 myself, and was in the same dilemma as you about the 880. However now that I have the E30, I'm so glad I didn't get the 880. You simply cannot beat the flexible record feature. And the image quality is simply staggering.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Have to agree there. The Flexible Recording Mode gives the best quality recordings that it is currently possible to get using a Digital Recorder (standfast DVHS).

The only advantage in the Philips is the compatibility of it's rewritable media but surely thats what the write-once disks are for?

9. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the audio like on the E30? It does not have a coaxial out, only an optical out. I've been told that coaxial is much better than optical.

10. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I find the audio to be very good personally. It depends what your preferences are, Picture quality always wins over sound with me, which is why I'm glad I got the E30. As to your question about recordable media. DVD-Rs are a lot cheaper in bulk than +Rs.

With all the reported glitches with Phillips machines, I could not live with the thought that my machine could go wrong at any moment. Esp since it would be recording like a workhorse, so I went Panasonic and felt it was the better choice regardless.

There's about to be a new range of Panasonic models, and likewise new Phillips models. Why not wait a couple of weeks and check them out?

11. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First of all I'm sure you'll love your recorder and welcome to the wondeful world of dvd recorders!

Now Im not knocking you final choice at all-the 890 is a cracking recorder. However, since the question was asked (although now irelivant) I'll chuck in my two cents in case anyone else is still looking.

I have an e30. So, I'm biast.

I may not think I am being, but the reality is I probably am. So there is no point going on about the merits of the recorder (vbr recording and ram editing etc) as I am sure any owner of any recorder could list a load of plus points.

However, When I was looking to buy a recorder in the first place I was also unsure whether to go philips or panny as I'm sure a large majoroty of people buying a recorder at the moment are (no offence sony and pioneer people!). So here are the reasons why I went for the panny in the end.

1. Media is far cheeper. Write once format is as cheap as £0.60 each. Ram disks are now only a couple of quid. O.k dvd+r is falling, but its still FAR more expensive.

2. The philips recorders have a terrible reputation for reliablity and bugs. Loads of unhappy forum users who have bought one and regreted it to the point of returning it. I have yet to here of an e30 owner who has had any problems with theirs, apart from the odd coaster.(on saying that I have probably opened the flood gates for unhappy owners :) but at the time this was the case).

3. I was able to purchase a multiregion verion which played rce disks (At the time although there was a multiregion hack for the philips machines, there was no hack or mod which enabled the them to play rce-I dont know if this is still the case or not).

Thats really it. I made my decision on these three points. Now the biggest thing going against the panny was compatibility. Now since I planned on playing recordings on the recorder itself this didn't bother me. If compatibility was my major concern I probably would have bought a philips-thats the truth. Also, I belived dvd+R was likely to be the winning format (not convinced this will be the case now however-but now I'm biased!). But since tehnology moves quickly and I will probably be buying a blue laser recorder in a couple of years I wasn't too concerened. I knew it would do what I needed it to do now.

Now as far as compatibility goes since buying it-the ram disks play on virtually nothing (bar new panny dvd players)-No surprise for me there then.

However everything I read said that the write once format of philips was far more compatible than the write once format of the pannasonic. Well, every single recording I have made on dvd-r in the panny has played in every stand alone player I have (and I have 4 of various makes and models and ages) and all those of my friends-although it wont play in my computers ancient dvd-rom drive-but will play in my friends drive no problem and plays in all my laptop drives fine.

I recently was given a dvd+r recording. It played in all the pc drives but wouldn't play in ANY of my standalone players.

So for me the write once format has proven more compatible anyway (an unexpected bonus).

So personally I still believe that the panny e30 is a better alround recorder....but hey-I'm biast!

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, just bought a Philips 890 and enjoying using it as a VCR, I intend to sort out my Hi 8 onto it soon.
    Now being a novice to the pros and cons, apart from how they all function in their own funny ways versus each other, I bought the 890 as I can allways play these discs should the format die but also loan them to friends, get them back and re record, just like VHS.
    Or have I missed something? As I said I am a novice in this hard fought battle of the formats.
    Ged.

13. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 890 today and have hooked it all up.

After a little experimenting, I must say that it seems to be a really good device. Mind you, I have only done a little bit of experimenting. The faults which everybody seems to be talking about haven't shown themselves.

I have not had the chance to check the compatability of the media, so I will have to get back to you on that one.

The quality of a recorded DVD seems to be better than any recording done in LP mode on video.

The playback quality of a normal DVD seems to be high as well. However, the current setup is on a really old TV. When I get my Toshiba plasma, I'll let you guys know what the quality is like.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase. I think I made the right decision.

14. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thats good you made you choice Bob, let us know how it works out etc.

15. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bob, if your unsure where to get cheap disks check out some of these guys. They are the main online stores everyone uses.

Places like svp, bigpockets and digital promotions all sell good quality cheap media. Far cheeper than you'll find on the high street.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/#444

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/

Also Lynx are really good. They sell their own brand which they have made for them and its cheap and high quality

http://www.lynxdv.com/estore/index2.php

Hope this is of use :)

16. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the links.

17. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It does make me chuckle when people mention the compatibility performance of Philips over anything else... Both formats make DVD-Video discs that play on practically any machine;
    Philips are simply far vocal about things, and have a somewhat sneaky marketing strategy (like stating their recorders also play CD+r and CD+rw discs) (for those with short memories, CD-writing technology has always been CD-r and CD-rw).

The only compatiblity issue is with the dvd-ram discs (even though this format is part of the DVD-Forums official DVD-Multi format, unlike +RW). The partial deletion and chasing playback functionality of RAM far outway the cost of transferring something to a 50p dvd-r in order for it to play on a friend's machine.

There is no format war. dvd-r is too widespread to ever go out, and RAM has been around for years as a computer based product; again far too widespread to go out.
    Philips have pumped out too many machines to let their format slip. All that will happen is machines become more multi format capable (ie Sony's new machine).

Thus for me, format is a non-issue;
    Functionality and reliablility is everything to me...
    (he said with a somewhat mischievious, smug grin...!)

Ian's Monday morning (and clearly biased) 2 pence worth!

18. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobthebuilder

Im sure you will find the Philips a superb machine. I purchased the 880 about 2 months ago and it was the playing of svcd discs which swung the decision in favour of the Philips. The quality of the svcd discs on the E30 was not up to the Philips, I have also had no problems with compatibility of both DVD+R and DVD+RW discs in other machines.

I have not had any of the problems read about in these forums.

As for media I purchase from SVP and have had no problems with that company.

Im sure that whichever recorder is chosen, E30 or either of the Philips machines, it will please their owners.

19. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Im sure that whichever recorder is chosen, E30 or either of the Philips machines, it will please their owners."

I totally agree.

20. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    So do I.:D

21. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ditto :)

22. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I found the editing functions on the E30 to be a major advantage over the philips which I've also had time to play with.

The Picons are cool on the philips and I wish the E30 had them and a better frount end menu for disks but the ease of editing and adding new text is a major difference.

One day someone to think to supply a socket for a generic PC keyboard to do titles etc.

Mark