Philips DVDR880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jizm, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jizm

jizm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can some one help me please.
    My dvd recorder will not play video cds. Been through the manual and on screen menus. Tried philips' web site etc still no luck. I get sound but no picture, the machine seems to play it as if it were an ordinary cd/mp3 disc.
    All help greatly appreciated
    Regards
    Jiz

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
  3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Are these VCDs you've compiled yourself or 'official' ones. If the former make sure you've encoded the files within the specifications listed in your manual. You can use a programme like TMPG Encoder to re-encode if necessary.

4. jizm

jizm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done for me by some-one else. It's old home videos/cine film compiled on to a disc and set to music.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    I suggest firstly you try them on your PC - do the files play OK in Windows Media Player? Assuming they do work (otherwise the problem is more complicated) then download a version of TMPG Encoder (a quick look suggest that http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/tmpgenc.html may point you in the right direction). Then use the Project Wizard to re-encode the files in either NTSC or PAL. Then reburn (preferrably using an appropriate wizard in a programme like Nero 5.5) the project to a 80 minute CD-R - this will automatically create the file structure for a VCD.

It's probably violation of one of the above that is the reason for it not playing. If you do all this then you should be able to get it in a playable form.

You may want to check out:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/
    They have several forums devoted to VCD so you may find it more helpful to get specific advice there.

6. jizm

jizm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The disc plays fine on a friends Philips DVD-R 1000. This suggests that the disc is fine and is probably a set up problem on the machine?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yes and no. Obviously the disc is fully functional but the Philips DVDR-1000 is a high-end machine whereas the Philips 880 isn't. Therefore the range of media that can be used in the 1000 may well be greater than the 880. Re-encoding as described above may resove the problem. HOWEVER given this new information I would suggest, as you guess, exploring the setup options first. You'll need an 880 user to help you there. Given the 880s track record it could also be an error/out of date firmware. To explore these avenues I would suggest going to the forums TommyVecetti pointed you to.

8. jizm

jizm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that wil take an in depth look at the site reccomended. On another note I just noticed you are in Southampton, little bit freaky as I am in Eastleigh. Small world!!!