1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Solomon Grundy, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,485
    I was out shopping on Saturday and saw my Local Factory Shack was selling a Philips DVDR880 for £99.00 so I bought one. Was this a wise decision as I didn't do any of the research I normally would? Is there anything I need to be aware of with this model?

Cheers guys (and gals)...

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Run it through the forum search and start looking for the receipt. If I was to blame one unit for making me leave retail, the 880/90 would probably be it.

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    As Homer Simpson would say "Doh".

4. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,485
    wicked...s'pose it was only £99.00 so I can't be too upset...

5. ibrox50

ibrox50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you never know you may get lucky :suicide: at least you only paid a ton i wont tell how much i wasted

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Now you have it, make sure you keep the original proof of purchase with the retailer stamp on it. Philips have officially guaranteed this unit for two years.

If you do get problems with the machine not recognising discs, especially commercial pressed DVDs, post on the www.DVDplusRW.org forum (although it's currently down again). Someone there will point you to the procedure for getting the thing repaired. It's a two week process with Philips collecting and delivering the machine.

7. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Oh God - a Philips 880???

Always do some research mate - this has to be the worst/most unreliable dvd recorder ever !

Even the newer range (R70/R75/R80) have been plagued with problems. I shoud know - I used to have one.

If it goes wrong, I know Philips will sort it out for two years as a previous poster said (you are liable to get problems with recognising commercial dvd's after a short while) but I would always stay well clear of Philips for DVD recorders. They are notoriously bad.

8. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Which one did you have? Did you get it repaired?

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,485
    I'm going to send the warranty registration form off. To be honest it won't get used that often as I have 3 more dvd players and sky+ in the house anyway, I just bought it so that I can make copies of my wedding video for people who want it...any more than that is a bonus really.

10. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Musukebba

I have a DVDR70 - it's now been demoted to the bedroom as a 2nd recorder (I bought a new Sony GX300 on Friday) ..

I have been offered a repair by Philips (even though it is over the initial guarantee period although within their "not very well advertised" 2 year return to fix deal.

As mine only sometimes displays problems (ie red light stays on when recording as normal but then displays goes blank, no buttons work, have to turn off at wall then you loose the recording) er.. what else? Oh yes the remote buttons fail to work at all sometimes on the remote control - it's starting to get unreliable - but will do as a "spare" - I should take up Philips offer of a repair, but can't be bothered at the mo, as I understand it has to go to belgium...

11. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well of course that's up to you, but it won't cost you owt.

My information is that ServiceCare (the Philips sub-contractors) are in Manchester. Wherever it goes for repair it's a two-week max turnaround time at recent estimates, and there's pick-up from your door and back again.

Seems as though you've left <plus> format behind you then, with the GX... ;-)