Philips DVDR880 is Pants

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Deorch, May 5, 2005.

1. Deorch

Deorch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or so I found out after 14 months of use, in the beginning it was fine...but then after fairly light use (i use my tivo for general day to day recording) I started getting No Disc errors , jumping stuttering etc. So anyway Im now in the market for another DVD recorder, I want to use for playback as well, and should handle MP3 and most (if not all formats!) any recommendations?

Not going to take the recommendation of the magazine I bought last time!

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature - although as previous recorder owner you'll be aware of most of it ;) Many ex-Philips users (of which there are many of us) tend to favour Sony models as the closest alternative (especially as they still use DVD+RW media). These models are fairly strong performers at DVD playback - although I recommend avoiding the bargain basement GX210 which has an RGB problem and opting for the GXD500 (DVB recorder). The new Panasonic ES10 is also well worth a look although can't record on your +RW media (but can any +R media you have).

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Philips will repair this free for you if approached in the right way, since the guarantee is extended to two years. If you have your mind set on another recorder then that's fine, otherwise I can give you a link to how to go about getting it fixed.

4. Deorch

Deorch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Ras, I was tempted by the Sony RDR GX700 as an option (although its a bit long in the tooth?) I originally didnt fancy the 500 as I dont need the HD (got a tivo) and its missing an Ilink however the panny also looks pretty good....

Musu tbh Im so fed up with the philips I cant be bothered really, but if you give me the link I'll take a look, when Ive calmed down perhaps I will go do it....Ive just read so many horror stories about Philips support...

Id never buy Philips again.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    This model has been discontinued. You can still pick it up (at bargain prices) but there is better available now.

Despite the price suggesting it does, the GXD500 doesn't have a HDD. It's effectively just the GX300 with a Freeview tuner but it is indeed missing iLink connection.

The ES10 is an excellent deck. It's reviewed in the new issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine (June 2005) - well worth picking up a copy to see if it's the recorder for you.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Neither will I.

Philips Support are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. See here for a better approach. There's a bit of back-chat about the advice, but I don't know of anyone who hasn't benefitted from contacting ServiceCare first.

When repaired, you can always keep it as a spare. I doubt whether anyone would buy it.

7. Deorch

Deorch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Im gonna go for the panny thanks guys for all yer help..

Philips Sucks bishop Yeah! :oops: