Philips DVDR880 equivalent Help Please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Biccy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad's DVDR880 has conked out (looking at the forums this seems common!) but as he has an extended warranty he's been told he can have a replacement. He's being offered the DVDR610 & been told by sales person its the equivalent which to me doesn't seem anything like the spec he had with the 880. As he knows very little i've said i'd find out what the modern equivalent is spec wise as surely he's entitled to something better, can anyone help on what models are similair, probably have to be a Philips I guess with the warranty? Does anyone know if the DVR880 had i-link too cos i know that'd help him get a decent model. Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    The DVDR610 is effectively the same spec as the DVDR880 so it's a fair exchange. Although that said the DVDR610 is a budget recorder (it's a reworked DVDR70 which has had it's own fair share of problems) whereas the DVDR880 wasn't. The DVDR880 did not have iLink.

3. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick response! Was hoping to up what he'd ge with spec, just found data sheets for 880 on Philips website archives & you're right, they do seem to be similair. Any idea where he'd stand with it being a budget model, does he have right to up quality, think he paid over £400 for it when it came out whereas DVR610 is about half that?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I don't know the legal position I'm afraid - what is certain is the DVDR880 had 'reasonable' build quality whereas the DVDR610 is about as cheap as you can go (like all equivalently priced DVDRs). That said over the two years difference between the models the MPEG encoding of the Philips models has improved considerably over the 880 generation. It's a tough call - you could try and argue for a DVDR80 (although that model also has 'issues').

5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK will try it on for the 80, can only say no I guess! Thanks for your help, will let you know how I get on.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or go one better and try to insist on a non Philips recorder

7. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be the best thing but not sure how that works with extended warranty...will try sking but have a feeling it may have to be philips. Anyone know how my Dad stands with regards to asking for diff manufacturer?

8. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of good news...even though i expect it'll have to be a philips the warranty people have said he can keep the old machine too...as it still records onto RW im having it for archiving Sky+ films as i have no recorder. After looking at Philips website they also have a ''firmware'' update on there for the 2 probs he has which is 'no disc' on playback of DVD films & not recording onto +r discs...has anyone tried this update & had any success as it'd make a good freebie recorder/player for me if it gets it working agian?

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cd firmware updates are temporary at best.Once the NO DISC problems start-you're doomed....doomed...

10. Baz63

Baz63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'd also like to know as my dvdr880 has just failed completely (no dvd) after only 18 months.

11. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think a firmware update will solve this problem.
    The `No disc` and `Disc error` messages are commonly linked with laser assembly failure on these units and as Philips are more than aware of their shortcomings with these units, will replace the laser without argument.
    Firmware updates will only solve software `bug` issues, such as timer recording problems and the machine wandering off to do its own thing every now and again.
    jpriches, if your 880 is less than 2 years old, Philips will repair it for free as long as you have your receipt. If they let you keep the old machine, get the replacment and then send the 880 to Philips for a repair. That way, you have 2 fully working machines for the price of one.

12. Baz63

Baz63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right.
    Within 3 working days of sending a letter of complaint I had a courier from Philips at my front door ready to take the thing away to repair. This product must have been a major PR and product disaster for them . Mitigated somewhat by excellent customer service. Let's hope once its repaired it stays functional. I did pay £350 for it after all. :mad: :blush:

13. haarp

haarp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God, you were lucky! My 880 failed in Oct 2003 and when I contacted Philips via e mail they basically told me that I was a liar and that they had heard of no other problems with these machines! I took it back to the shop and basically played hell with them until they agreed to swap it for a Sony DVD recorder (£50.00 more but no problems since then!) Basically Philips kit is total CRAP!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I couldn't agree more.