Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips DVDr880 Disc Error

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AkhilStyle, Apr 13, 2005.

1. AkhilStyle

AkhilStyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I just got this off someone. I managed to record something. Then I tried something else and it says "disc error" and does not record. I have tried TDK and Philips DVD+RW but they both say that.

Any ideas guys? What should I do. I have contacted the person I brought it off.

Thanks

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately there's no doubt that it's broken and needs repairing by Philips themselves. The 8x0 series are notorious for this malfunction, which is due to a misaligned laser OPU.

If you can get the original proof of purchase you might be able to get it done free of charge. Otherwise get your money back immediately.

3. Marfun

Marfun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so sorry for you i know this might sound daft but i have had three of these machine and the same thing has happened on every single one of them and it is so off putting and is enough to put anyone recording dvd disks at all

I have still not found a sure proof way of fixing the discs that i have recorded using the phillips 880 but it seems to be a problem most of the time with the finaliseing and the laser picking up the starts fo titles on the discs.

I would never recommend any phillips dvd recorder to anyone as they all have this wierd problem

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Do you have proof of purchase for each of them? Credit card statements will be fine, if not the bill of sale...

5. AkhilStyle

AkhilStyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought it off someone :S

I don't think they do :S

I have emailed philips with serial number etc and will see what they say. I have also emailed the person I brought it from - I brought it off them brand new - so should be under warranty

Akhil

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  7. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 890 and the same happened to me,it also wouldn't read Pre-recorded DVD's sometimes!! :eek:
    I had it fixed under my guarentee luckily,now it's great. :smashin:
    But many people with the 8X0 line have this problem...many! :mad:
    Debs

8. AkhilStyle

AkhilStyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys

I just tried recording something with the SAME discs and it has been recording for 15 mins fine now - it usually gets the error after about 20 secs. Hopefully it will stay ok

My new discs are coming today also

9. AkhilStyle

AkhilStyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that number

New discs didnt seem to work - however it was not a disc error, it just frroze about 2-4 secs after I press record and then restarted.

I called that number you posted earlier - very helpful, I explained that I got it off ebay. They asked me to get the date of purchase - which I am trying to get hold of now - and explained they had a 2 year warranty - so hopefully it will be under warranty and then I can arrange for a repair