1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDr80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StevePn, Dec 28, 2004.

1. StevePn

StevePn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Philips DVDR80
    Has anyone got any views on the above, especially the TV guide recording facility?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Philips DVD recorders are, quite rightly, held in very low esteem here. One or two members (Niburu, JethroUK) religiously stickup for them but most of the long terms ones (Phelings, OarDVD, PhilipL, Rasczak) give convincing arguments why to avoid them. Have a look at the discussion thread on the subject. :suicide:

Whether you subscribe to the arguments for or against there can be little argument there is much better on the market these days. For EPG recording look at the Sony GXD500, Sky+ or Humax/Thompson/Pace HDD DVB.

3. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JamesL.

Your assumption is incorrect. I have only ever challenged those who make flippant comments without justification or reply to posts without reading the original content.
    I do own a Philips DVD recorder but I am just as able as anyone to admit their faults and will probably look elsewhere when I choose another DVD recorder.
    Steve, as for views on the DVDR80, I know little about the machine except for perhaps it is one of the better Philips models that were available.

4. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Niburu - I have read some of your earlier posts. Have a read read through the comments you posted on the thread I linked to. A rational well constructed argument by several senior forum members was answered with by "Blah! Blah! Blah!".

5. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In reply to StevePn, I had a DVDR80, it worked well and I liked GUidePlus enormously.

On the wider issues raised by other correspondents, I have had a number of Philips DVD recorders. On the positive side, I found them easy to use, off-air recording reliable, quality of recording acceptable, excellent range of input and output sockets, accepted any +R/+RW which I tried and I do very much like GuidePlus. On the negative side, I had a DVDR1000 which developed faults on two occasions, there were numerous reported instances of failures on the 880 and 890 series of machines and the editing facilities are not as good as I would like. I did try a Toshiba XS-32 which had a host of wonderful facilities, produced recordings of stunning quality but had no inbuilt EPG, the manual was very difficult to understand and it rejected Verbatim -R discs.

I now have a Philips DVDR725H and I am very pleased with it. HDD recording is a revelation giving me much greater control of how I watch television. Again, the editing capabilities are not as good as I would like and contrary to what Philips state in the manual, it is not possible to edit at a particular frame. However, overall I am very pleased with the machine.

Like, I suspect, many people, my next purchase will be a HDD/DVD recorder with inbuilt Freeview. I do not feel tied to either the + or - formats and I shall purchase the machine that has the features that I regard as important. I do understand why customers would avoid Philips given the terrible reliability problems but it does appear (fingers crossed) that Philips have addressed that issue.

6. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JamesL.

You must remember that this was around a time when my posts were met with a similar fate. It was all pretty messy and comments were flying around left, right and centre. The fact is that I am as pro-Philips as I am any other brand of equipment I own, being that my own personal experiences influence my judgement.
    I will rest to say that my machine has served me fairly well but I will not look at another Philips DVD recorder as they are now behind in the market place and their reliability is suspect.

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    using cursor keys (as per manual) will navigate around 3 frames at a time - once within striking distance, use 'pause' key to advance 1 frame at a time

another tip - for silky smooth edit, use 'hide/unhide', as opposed to divide (which will fragment the drive)