Philips DVDR80 random recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pragmatic, Nov 11, 2004.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I got my DVDR80 cheap only £165 a few months ago and for the most part it's fine, although I’ve moved into a house with an electric meter (which are harder to get rid off then you'd think) and the electric goes off every now and again. When electricity is restored the dam thing starts recording if there’s a writable disc in. Also it seems to just start recording if it feels like it sometimes. Gladly it hasn't tried to record onto a non recordable yet, probably burn the house down or something.

Also it seems to overwrite previous recordings, but ones it's just done (i.e. set it to record 3 programs and it'll overwrite the 1st one with the 3rd). Is it just the quirks of this machine or is mine broken, I’m sure the power going out every now and again is not helping but it's just the same as turning it off at the plug at night ?

I don't think the powers ever went out while it has been recording, and it's got the latest firmware I believe (August 2004).

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Yes and likely yes.

Now you know why. Unfortunately the Philips machines have lots of bugs, and timer problems such as yours has blighted all the Philips models one way or the other for the last 3 years, they just can't get it right.

You could try a firmware update (check Philips website), however an update can sometimes make things worse on these machines.

Power going out shouldn't cause a problem for probably designed hardware.

Regards

Philip