philips dvdr70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andrew0732, Jul 21, 2004.

1. andrew0732

andrew0732

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please could someone advise me on a problem

i bought a dvdr70 yesterday and last night set it all up and it works fine - records ok and plays back ok - the only problem is that when it plays back both on a recording and a genuine dvd you can see a tv picture scrolling across the screen like tv interference - this morning i was watching a program i recorded last night and i could see scrolling across the screen GMTV. has anybody got any sugesstions on how to get rid of this problem

many thanx :)

2. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the "ghost" picture is obviously not recorded. I suspect that you are using RF connections and that the "output channel" of the DVDR70 is set to a channel number/frequency that is used by ITV in your area. I do not know the DVDR70 so cannot advise you on how to change this. In any event, I would certainly not "tune" into it on the TV as it is far better to use RGB/Component/Svideo/Scart/Composite as you will get a better picture. If your TV does not have such an input then your only alternative is to re-tune the output of the DVDR70 and search for it on you TV.

3. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The DVDR70 does not have an RF modulator to ouput to the TV. All signals are passed by the scart lead. First, I would try a new fully connected and screened scart lead.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I get this as well on my setup.

I have an IDTV and have to put the TV on a untuned channel before selecting the DVD input.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a regular problem with budget Scart leads.Nwgarratt's method of channel selection solves it-sort of.I find an untuned channel makes the input grainy.But test out which channel gives least interference.Strangely,although my Sky+ RGB goes into my dvd player,which then goes to the tv-this problem NEVER shows up on the dvd output,only Sky+

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I am not using budget scart leads. They cost me £25 each at the time, although they can now be bought half that price now.

7. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I have read, you must be connecting the DVDR70 directly to the TV via a Scart. If this is correct, we need to find out where the "ghosting" programme is coming from. Assuming there are no other pieces of equipment involved, there are only two possibilities - the tuner in the TV or the tuner in the DVDR70. Just to eliminate the possibility of a bad recording (which I don't think is the case), you need to try the following using a commercial DVD.

As the problem was first noticed with GMTV as the background "Ghost" image, you need to have the DVDR70 selected to an unused input or empty TV channel and the TV tuned to ITV. Play the DVD and select it on your TV. If you get the ITV ghost then it is coming from the TV tuner which is probably outputting the "tuned" TV channel (ITV) down the SCART lead even though the DVD input is selected. If you get the "ghosting" under these circumstances, then try unplugging the SCART lead from the back of the DVDR70 whilst the DVD playing as above. If the ghosting ceases, then there is some crosstalk or leakage problem almost certainly in the DVDR70. If the ghosting continues, now remove the other end of the SCART lead from the TV. If the ghosting now disappears, it would appear there is a problem with the SCART lead. If the ghosting continues, I am stumped! My "gut" feeling is that the SCART lead is going to be the culprit.

You also need to try playing a DVD with the DVDR70 tuned to ITV and the TV tuned to a "blank" off air signal prior to selecting the DVD input on the TV. If you get the ITV ghost under these conditions, it would seem that there is a problem with the DVDR70 rather than the lead or the TV.

The above is not completely foolproof but might help. Best of luck.