1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR70 - problems with pops on sound?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkysteve, Sep 25, 2005.

1. sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When playing pre recorded DVD's when the trailers are playing or there are chapter changes, or coming out of pause there is a pop or click as if something has been switched on. This problem only occurs on pre-recorded DVD's, ones recorded on the DVDR70 play fine. I have not tried any discs recorded on other DVD recorders. Has anyone else had these problems?

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Has this behaviour only just become apparent, or was it there from when you first got the machine?

Are you taking the audio from the digital outlet?

3. sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem has always been there, but since installing an AV amp it seems to be more noticeable. audio connection is via phono's. I used to have a separate DVD player that I used for DVD's because the loading time on the philips is terrible, but that has sadly passed away and now I'm left with the philips.

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There have been previous, but very few, reports of clicking, popping or other audio interference on DVDR7x series units. However it's usually been the native recordings, or the monitor function, in which they are manifest. I haven't read about this sort of thing happening with playing back pressed commercial DVDs.

You say the audio connection is via phono - is that the S/PDIF phono digital connection, or the two analogue phono outlets?

5. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm having the same sort of problem as sparkysteve however my dvdr70 cuts sound out on certain dvd's ie Charlie'sAngels 2 and MIB 1 and 2 but no other. It happens through my AV Amp and through the TV using Scart. Any suggestions?

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    This doesn't appear to be the same problem at all. Do these titles play correctly on DVD players? Are they original DVDs, and if so are they in good condition? Does the sound always 'cut out' at exactly the same place?

7. papabear

papabear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are originals and in good condition haven't tried in any other dvd players/recorders yet! sound cuts out in different places every time, however found out last night that if I let the sound cuts out a couple of times then stop the film and then resume it, it stops the sound cutting out.

I don't get it!!

8. sparkysteve

sparkysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clarify the connections that I use are analogue phono but now papabear has mentioned it, the scart connection to TV does the same thing. I too have suffered from the occasional loss of sound during playback of a pre-recorded DVD (genuine article) and when the sound returns it is accompanied by a click. I have tried scanning back over the same place on the DVD and the next time it plays fine.

Incidentally called into a TV repair shop to get longer scart lead and they had a DVDR70 on the counter to be collected after repair, apparently on its third laser in 12 months. I am more than a little concerned!

9. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hmm... maybe some recall-based similarity then.

The issue of audio 'clicks' with the DVDR7x series was debated at length some time ago on the DVDplusRW forum - however these were related to native recordings and I don't remember anything about this audio drop-out behaviour with commercial DVDs.

A kind of summary can be found here.