Philips DVDR70 Now Working OK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Russell_S, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I have had a Philips DVDR70 dvd recorder for about 18 months now and it has worked pretty much flawlessly until around January this year. I generally only use the recorder to archive movies I have recorded from Sky+, so we are only talking one recording filling the whole DVD. What would happen is that it would appear to record ok but then wouldn't read the disk it had recorded, or would say "Disc Error" when trying to postformat the disc. I spoke to Philips service and they wanted £140 to repair it, which I said wasn't worth it. I trawled through these forums for similar problems and found some that thought maybe heat was an issue. Now my recorder is housed in a cabinet along with a Yamaha DSP Amp, DVD player and a Sky+ box and it does get quite warm in there. So I removed the DVD recorder from the cabinet and sat it ontop so that it ran cooler and now I have recorded 7 DVD's on the trot with no issues whatsoever whereas before it wouldnt do even one.

The one thing that may have tipped it over the edge around Christmas time was that I upgraded my Sky+ box with a 160gb hard disk which runs quite a bit hotter than the original. This may have been what caused my problems as the Sky box upgrade and the DVD recorder stopping working occured at a similar time.

Anyway, I hope this persuades other people who have similar problems to not automatically assume it is a hardware failure. There may be environmental or other causes for the problems.

Regards

Russell

2. Ger Mulvey

Ger Mulvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all and especially Russell, :hiya:
    I read your post and thought what the heck. I recently placed another dvd player on top of the philips dvdr70. Od things started happening. The menu didn't let me erase the disk on some disks and finally just keep throwing up disc errors. So I read the above article and gave it a whirl. I moved the player up a shelf leaving the philips on it's own shelf. Would you believe it worked perfectly straight away. Possibly a slight heat increase causing it or maybe a magnetic field issue who knows. Wont need to replace it just yet that'll save a few hundred €uros.

Thanks Russell for the inspiration.

Slán

3. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Slán,

I'm really glad to hear that it has worked for you. Mine has now been working for two months since moving it and not one single wasted disc in that time whereas before I was lucky to get one good disc.

As an electronics field service engineer for 23 years, I have known only too well the effects that heat and to a lesser degree humidity can have on equipment. Normally, when you actually think about when the problem started, you realize that something else changed at the same time. Normally, it will be either something that has restricted the airflow around the machine therefore stopping it dissipating it's own heat, or some other device placed nearby generating more heat to add to the heat allready there.

Anyway, glad it's working again,

Russell

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    This has always been a problem with the Philips dvd recorders (and other makes too).
    Mine sat on top of the cabinet, on it's own from day one, and has never given me any problems.

Heat and dvd recorders just don't mix!

My Xbox also has freezing problems if it is put in any sort of enclosure.

5. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry to be pedantic, but Slán isn't his name, it's Irish, and probably other Gaelic languages, for bye. maybe not bye exactly, but that sort of thing. i sound great, telling you this then not being quite sure of the right translation. actually, we say it when we drink a pint as well...

6. Russell_S

Russell_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My sincere apologies for making that mistake, I had no idea

Regards

Russell

7. Ger Mulvey

Ger Mulvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like it's playing up again. Worked fine for about a month then started giving errors and when I put finished disks into the pc to rip stuff I keep getting navigation errors at then have problems trying to extract recordings.
    Looks like I may need a new one.

Russell no need to apologise, I forget most people wont know what it means.

Slán go fóill (Bye for now)