1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR70 (honest opinions!)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vince_vega, Aug 2, 2004.

1. vince_vega

vince_vega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all, I would like to hear anybodys thoughts on the Philips DVDR70. Is it any good or not?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Try this thread here:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=10941

There seem to be a few fans of +RW in that forum that try and diffuse anyone who suggests these recorders are far from perfect, I will leave it up to you to decide their motives for doing this.

Personally there are far better options available. You will find this forum tends to have a membership that goes for quality and reliablity, not for the marketing, and this means most talk is about DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R recorders (the bad as well as the good), these are the official DVD Formats that seem to come out best around here and are support by your top brands, apart from Philips.

You can also try: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=106 where you will also find little talk about Philips recorders and the +RW format, as again this is an enthusiasts forum where they tend to be a bit more wise to the technology.

Regards

Philip

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Well....I got one for £168 from Safeway.

I still think its a bargain but its not without its problems.

I use it occasionally as a player (I have my Toshiba SD900e for main duties) and on NTSC discs the lip sync often seems to go out :mad: . The picture on Mode 1, 2 and 2.x recordings are very very good especially using the RGB input.

I mae it multi-region (my main player is'nt) using a very easy One-for-All remote hack and even though it has crashed on the odd occasions its still nice to have there if and when I need to backup stuff from my PVR or Sky.

Hope that helps,

Damian :smashin:

4. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Apart from the malfunction I reported in a previous thread, i'd give it an average rating, based on ease of use. Picture quality is very good at the M1 and M2 settings, at a push I'll use M2x4 which gives 150 mins, but never beyond that

I found it to be pretty quirky in the brand of discs it would accept, the worst culprits being PHILIPS RW, throwing up the No Disc error.

I bought mine from Argos, selling just short of £250.00, one thing's for sure,I'd never buy another Philips recorder, not even at the discounted RS price of £149.00.

5. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,
    I have the philips75 which is the same as the 70 with i-link and it does everything that I want from a dvdr, it copies superbly from my mini-dv camcorder, archiving vhs and backing up sky programs gives excellent results via rgb. I find the 2.5hr setting to be good and compatability with my main player, a Sony, is fine. I have had no problems with discs in the philips and used philips RW, philips, bulkpaq, ritek and memorex R's
    The philips machines do seem to get a bit of a bashing on here as already posted, most of these relating to poor editing features and no timeslip.
    I do all my editing using nero6 and tmpgenc dvd author which is obviously far better than any format of recorder editing and I have sky+ for flexible viewing so these points aren't too important to me whereas I did want the digital input and the philips was my choice with the price being the deciding factor, all the others were quite a bit more...that may well have changed now though!
    I had read that the philips have had problems with earlier models but had also seen many comments stating that the later models had been improved. I think the final push for me was the RS extended warranty which, for £29 if I remember correctly, covers for 3 years and will loan you a player while yours is being fixed should it ever get a problem so even if things did go wrong I'd always have a working recorder for 3 years, well next day at least.
    On the down side though, the response time does seem slow when operating the unit, i.e. switching it on and reading the disc when first loaded and the remote is very cheap but as they say, you pays your money.....I also had to have my first unit swapped as it didn't work out the box!!!
    At the end of the day I suppose a lot of it will come down to what you actually want it to do for you and what budget you are on as to whether it will be right for you.
    All I can say is that although I haven't done any comparisons with other units, on the whole I'm very happy with the Philips and its capabilities and it ought to be considered with other similar priced models
    If I can help you any more regarding my recorders functions/operation just ask!
    Cheers Andrew:)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    From personnel experience is that? Nero actually offers very basic functionality: the Toshiba RX32 is actually considerably better...

Vince, the Philips DVDR70 is an OK model but it is bottom of the range. There are much better options available that offer far more functionality: Timeslip, playlists, editting, multi-format etc at more or less the same price. Have a look at:
    - JVC DRM10
    - Panasonic E55
    - Pioneer 220
    - Sony GX3
    - Toshiba DR1
    - Toshiba DR2
    All of which have more features and are more reliable than the Philips models. Certainly you can instantly discount the Philips models if you want to archive old S/VHS recordings onto disk as they lack hardware TBCs. And then there is the reliability issue with Philips as well...

7. iamthenewno2

iamthenewno2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the DVDR75, I feel this recorder is good for what it is. I wanted a recorder that would record TV and DV and that would be simple enough for the wife, I didn't need super editing (as I can't be bothered).

8. andrewmellor

andrewmellor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ooops sorry, No I haven't actually used one so hope I haven't misled anyone!!
    A case of the blind leading the blind:( I'd just wrongly assumed that the dedicated packages would be far more functional than anything built into the recorders...which in the case of the philips is certainly true - "I'll get me coat"

Just out of interest what is the Tosh capable of in editing terms that Nero can't do?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    e.g. GOP control and Flexible Record without any need to re-encode.

I was 'having a go' BTW - I was merely asking! I appreciate somepeople think I'm going to bite their head off when they mention DVD+RW which just isn't true. It's just at the moment you can get machines with better functionality. In these days of multi-format DVD recorders etc the issue is not which format anymore but what features that define the best DVD recorders.

10. BKATZ

BKATZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you want a simple replacement for a VCR, then it is perfect. I have had no problems at all with the "70", use Packard Bell +RW & not one problem.

However, if as has been mentioned you need to "cut & paste" your recordings, buy something else!

Regards,

B. :)

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    My previous post SHOULD have read ' I was[B[n't[/B] having a go BTW' :blush:

It's 'OK' would be a better description. The thing is you can achieve identical results on other machines from Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba etc only they have more features for the same price, i.e. Progressive Scan, Timeslip, Playlists and other user features that are used day in day out aside from the editting ability.

At present DVD+RW recorders aren't really offering anything 'new' and so have fallen off the purchasing map for the time being. I'm sure they will resurface when new models with new features come along (5.1 recording perhaps).

12. vince_vega

vince_vega

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks guys! so where can i get a sony from for the same price as a dvdr70?

13. PATRICKDORAN

PATRICKDORAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear its not possible to copy dvds withe the dvdr70 bcause of macrovision
    , can this be removed easily ?
    just interested because i can buy for 150

14. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    To the best of my knowledge Macrovision should not stop you copying a DVD digitally i.e taking a DVD you've recorded in the DVR-70 popping into a PC drive and using something like Nero to copy the DVD.

I believe Macrovision only stops you recording a disc or video via the analogue output i.e. SCART, S-Video or composite outputs. However I maybe wrong, perhaps Philips have implemented a more advanced version of Macrovision which does stop you recording digitally or at least only lets you make one copy of a recording.

However I would be surprised if Macrovision is implemented on homemade recordings. Do they have a right to include Macrovision on a recording you've made of your own camcorder footage in a set top DVD recorder?

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Your own recordings - many on ANY DVD recorder - are entirely free of copy protection unless the broadcaster has implemented a 'copy once' flag. AFAIK no UK broadcaster has done this although Sky obviously protects it's Box Office.

If you want to use a DVDR for copying DVDs (although a PC is much better - or BUYING the disks is even better ;) ) then you can get special Macrovision disabling cables. Others can help you with that...

If you spend another £50 you can get a model considerably better!

16. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If we consider only non-HDD decks then I believe that one of the biggest disadvantages of +RW recorders is that when you ‘delete’ a title on a rewritable disc (ie +RW) you are really only hiding it.

This is in contrast to –RW * or RAM decks which perform true deletion AND always give you back all the space for re-use (even if you remove multiple entries which are not neighbours). This means that these machines recover the space occupied by a deleted title (or part title) and automatically add it to any previous spare space making the whole lot available for re-use. With this system the user doesn’t need to know where previously recorded titles are located. This is a similar idea to adding & deleting files on a pc’s hard disc.

With a +RW recorder, on the other hand, you can only genuinely recover all the space by erasing the whole disc. Any other ‘deletion’ merely hides titles from being visible. However, you can (sort of) re-use space on a +RW disc by choosing to overwrite existing entries (hidden or otherwise) by manually selecting a position and recording from there onwards. It’s comparatively crude and you’ve got to be very careful not to accidentally overwrite something you wish to keep.

So with +RW, unless you are recording on to a blank disc, you generally need to be much more aware of where recordings are located relative to each other. Also, if you are deliberately overwriting existing titles you need to be very careful with your recording times (unless you are overwriting the final entry in which case it doesn’t matter). The +RW system tends to be more manual and generally requires more preparation by the user because it’s similar to recording on tape.

How else does this affect you in practice? Well say, for example, you’ve already got three title entries recorded in SP organised in the following order on a –RW* or RAM disc :
    1) 25 mins, 2) 20 mins , 3) 35 mins, with 40 mins of space at the end (total 120 mins).

So you’ve got :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|xxxx 20 xxxx|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|…….....…Space 40…...……..|

You are using a –RW * or RAM machine to delete entry ‘2’ and you would expect to get :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|..Space 20…|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|……....…Space 40…..…..…..|

But, remember, a –RW * or RAM machine ‘joins’ the available space together so you will actually get :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|....…….Total Space 60 (20 + 40)..........|

This means that you can then make a seamless continuous recording (at SP) of up to 60 mins (20 + 40) :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|xxxxxxxxx New Recording 60 xxxxxxxxxxx|

On a +RW machine presented with the same starting situation as previously (except this time on a +RW disc), if you ‘delete’ entry ‘2’ you get :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|.’Hidden’ 20..|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|……...…Space 40…....……..|

This means that with the +RW system you are limited to recording a total of only 40 mins (at SP) at the end of the disc ….OR….alternatively you could overwrite entry ‘2’ but you must make sure it doesn’t last longer than 20 mins (otherwise you’ll overwrite entry ‘3’). Thus +RW works like recording on tape.

So, you get :

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|…’Hidden’ 20..|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|xxx New Recording 40 xxx|

OR

|xxxxx 25 xxxxxx|xNew Rec 20x|xxxxxxx 35 xxxxxxxx|……....…Space 40.…….…..|

Of course using RAM or –RW in –VR mode is great for timeshifting (ie record… watch…delete …record, etc.) but its advanced structure means that it’s not very compatible with the majority of DVD players.

If you can afford it, by far the most flexible machines are those with HDDs.
    However, here’s a summary of some of the various brands of non-HDD DVD recorder and the formats they provide, with their associated major strengths/ weaknesses.

Non-HDD machines:

Philips:
    +R………..……Very limited editing, No re-recording once full, Great compatibility.

AND

+RW……….….Poor editing with inefficient disc management, Good compatibility.

Panasonic / Toshiba / JVC:
    -R…………..….Very limited editing, No re-recording once full, Great compatibility.

AND

RAM (–VR)….Great editing & efficient disc management, Poor compatibility.

Some of the models from these manufacturers also provide –RW at least in DVD Video mode.

Pioneer:
    -R……………....Very limited editing, No re-recording once full, Great compatibility.

AND

-RW…………....Poor editing with inefficient disc management, Good compatibility.

AND

-RW (-VR)…..Great editing & efficient disc management, Poor compatibility.

HDD machines:

Best of all worlds, really. Record & edit on the HDD then copy to R.

HDD………....…Great editing & efficient disc management

THEN COPY TO

-R or +R……...for Great compatibility.

The manufacturers also provide these models with –RW and/or RAM, or +RW, similar to the non-HDD machines, above.

* When using –RW written in the optional –VR mode.

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Indeed. Frankly I think anyone who even thinks they want to make compatible, editted recordings with or without resort to a PC should buy a HDD/DVDR combo. They are so cheap now there is no excuse!

18. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Finally got my D70 back from those wondeful people at Philips, yesterday.

Openiing the box I see a brand spanking new remote, a collection of new wires/plugs, my dog eared manual (never did look the part anyway) and the serviced D70 (faults reported on another thread).

I'd like to take this opportunity, in the hope that someone from Philips is reading these forums, to thank the useless bastards for the above new items they sent. Sadly, their technical expertise does not, I'm afraid to say, stretch to actually fixing the problems the machine was returned for.