Philips DVDR70 DVD Recorder - too many disc errors. Help please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisjoanne, Feb 28, 2005.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have the Philips DVDR70 Recorder and I'm starting to get a bit cheesed off with how many disc errors I receive.

I have changed/upgraded the firmware and also changed which type of Disc's I use. At present I am using white Bulkpaq 4 speed. I think I managed to get one recording from the last 10 attempts.

It is extremely annoying when you sit and record something for 4 hours to get a disc error at the end.

The only recordings which seem to work are from Philips +RW's .

However not all DVD players will playback a RW disc.

I'm confused as to what the problem could be and want to know which types of discs people are using with the Philips R70.

I'm sure there is a site which lists what discs work well with what players but I can't find it.

Cheers
    Chris

2. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Chris
    It sounds as though there is a problem with the recorder - if you can, return it to the shop or contact Philips service. They should be able to assist.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Chris,

You may also want to do an internet search for "Philips +disc error" before deciding if you want a replacement or an exchange for a different brand.

4. MarkhamPete

MarkhamPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would second that. I had a nightmare with a few bad recorders a few weeks ago. It's possible to get one (or in my case, two) with bad drives.

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for your posts.

I think I've had the player for about 18 months now, so I therefore believe its out of its warranty.

Is it worth selling the unit on ebay and explain the problem or is it worth trying to get it fixed (any estimates from someone?)

I know the cost of recorders are coming down to around the £100 mark so am I better just to get a new one?

Cheers
    Chris

6. team_edition

team_edition
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same player with the same problem. I don't think it's a fault so much as a "non-documented feature" in that after a while it randomly has problems reading all manner of discs. Look at the reviews of the player on Amazon and you'll see everyone has similar problems.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your recorder is defective, and Philips have officially extended the guarantee to two years on machines with this type of disc reading problem.

You'll need to write to the customer services department and explain the problem.

It's up to Philips whether they give you the option of a repair, a replacement machine, or a brand substitute. I haven't heard of anyone getting the latter, without an extended warranty from the retailer.

As always, I could be wrong.