1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR70 chapter insertion problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by greg_1979, Oct 1, 2005.

1. greg_1979

greg_1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello people. Bit of help required please. I could probably find out the answer by looking in the manual but hey, it's in the attic and there's no light in there etc...

Anyway, why is it that when I record on to a DVD+RW and manually insert chapters, make some hidden etc to get a nice start point for a movie or whatever I have an option to "Make Edits Compatible" (which works perfectly on other players etc), but when I record on to DVD+R, insert some chapters, make some hidden etc that when I finalise it and then use the disc in another player, none of the hidden chapters are hidden and all my chapter markers are not there, just the standard 5 minute one's?!!

It's driving me NUTS!! Please help before I boot it into a neighbouring village.

Many thanks

PS. I know people have MAJOR MAJOR issues with this particular dvd recorder but this is the only one I have with it... it's been perfect since I bought it a year ago so I guess I'm lucky really!!

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, but i would imagine that to 'make edits compatable' it would need to Re-write the Table of Contents, which it obviously can't do on write once disc

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately DVD +R is just not compatible with the DVD-Video standard for chapters. You can set and remove them after making the recording (yes, even on a 'write-once' medium), but even after finalising they won't be noticed on a standard DVD player. They will only work on a Philips recorder.

The way round this is to record onto +RW, use 'make edits compatible', then make a bit-for-bit copy to +R on a PC (using Nero or whatever). The +VR structure is maintained on the +R disc and the chapters work on other DVD players. If your PC burner will booktype the disc to DVD-ROM then so much the better.

4. greg_1979

greg_1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! Thanks for clarifying that! I can indeed record to RW disc on the Philips and rip and burn it on my Mac in DVD-ROM (UDF) format... Obviously will only be bothered to do this for material I REALLY wanna keep!

Shame there's no way of doing it straight from the Philips though :(

5. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You must make an exact copy for this to work. If you 'rip' (in the conventional sense of the word), then the chapters will be lost.

6. greg_1979

greg_1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Thanks for the tip and I underatand what you mean re. the terminology. Thanks for all your help people ;-)