Philips DVDR3570H Firmware Upgrade appears to contain DVDR5570H/DVDR5520H files???

mxnrg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've seen a few people posting about he newer Philips DVDR55X0H recorders, however because I'm cheap and don't need HDMI upscaling or a Freeview decoder, I just bought an older cheaper DVDR3570H.

The issue I have is when I download the latest firmware for this device from the Philips site I get a file called:

dvdr3570h_05_fus_eng.zip

Which actually contains these files:

DVDR55X0H NonEPG_v3.06 (files for disc upgrade).zip
DVDR55X0H NonEPG_v3.06 (file for USB upgrade).zip

Neither of these will actually update my device from v1.43, I get the 'ERROR DL' message followed by a reboot. Is anyone aware of a successful update to a Philips DVDR3570H device ever working? I've Googled and searched to the best of my ability and came up blank. The files above appear to be for the newer device, but they may be suitable. Seems a bit strange though and the failed upgrade suggests an issue.

I bought the drive today and so will try and give Philips a call tomorrow.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice.

AFAIK your jobby is analog only whereas the 55xx series have both analog and digital tuners. But that non-epg filename sounds ominous. Best NOT to **** about with incorrect firmwares as recorder sized doorstops arent great as crimbo prez.. but you could get them to bring it back to the shop all unawares that YOU fubared it..:eek: :(

Yes, that's very curious. :confused:

The machines are similar, but as said above, there are quite a few hardware differences.

When I was having DVDR5570H problems, Philips subsequently told me that the 'ERROR DL' message normally indicated that the file is the wrong one for the box. I had that error initially with the v3.04 update, and on attempting a second time, the box was bricked. Although they insisted the file was good, it was very quickly replaced on the website by the v3.06 update.

I wouldn't try again if I were you. Contact Philips and explain the situation, make sure they understand that the filenames in the zip appear to be wrong. If they say that it's correct and to try again, I would ask them to accept responsibility if it goes belly up...

Thanks for the swift responses STdrez625 and sparky_paul, after seeing your thread on the DVDR5570H, I knew you were the people to ask :)

I'm going to call Philips on their 'Premium Home Service' phone line - An interesting thing to put on the box for a product - to see what they advise.

Will let you know what they say.

Thanks again.

Just got off the phone to Philips UK and the guy said there is currently an issue with corruption of firmware that has been uploaded to their website. This is apparently under investigation... Would be an idea to just pull the dodgy updates me thinks! He was a bit vague as to which firmwares were suspect and seemed relieved that I had not bricked my unit!

So I'm stuck with v1.43 for now. I raised a web ticket at the support site as well since I'd rather not be stuck with 18 month old firmware.

So I'm stuck with v1.43 for now. I raised a web ticket at the support site as well since I'd rather not be stuck with 18 month old firmware.

Why not? Is there something wrong with it? Do you have a specific problem?

Why not? Is there something wrong with it? Do you have a specific problem?

Having only had it for a day, I've not yet used all it's functionality. However I'd be surprised if there wasn't some improvement to the firmware that I'm missing out on.

Best would be a bit of a speed up in the user interface, is definitely sluggish compared to my old DVDR3480 (which died after 11 months and 2 weeks of service... yes I am lucky!).

After a quick look at the doc's here are the improvements in firmware since v1.43:

• A new feature has been added: when copying multimedia files (.avi, .jpg, .mp3 etc) from the recorder to a DVD+R/-R recordable disc, a new disc finalise feature is now available to improve PC compatibility of the created disc. You can find this option in the Home Menu when selecting Disc
  • Tray: if applicable for the currently loaded disc, pressing the green color key will finalise it. Please note that after doing this; no more files can be recorded onto the disc. Finalised discs will be readable on your PC when using Windows XP or higher.
  • Issue fixed: In some cases, a loaded disc would not be recognised after waking up the recorder from standby.
  • Improvement: On the front panel display, if available, the TV channel's name will be displayed before the date/time (reversed from previous behaviour).
  • Issue fixed: In some cases, during zapping between channels, the wrong program name was displayed on the front panel display.
  • Improvement: Improved guidance text during the installation of the GUIDE Plus+ Electronic TV Guide.

• Improved HDMI connectivity with certain Philips TVs.
  • Correction in French menu options
  • Improve set stability
  • In some cases, analogue channels (PALD/K) are stored as SECAM-LL.
  • Virtual titles are lost after removing power abruptly while set is going into standby.
  • Playback freezes with certain DVDs when a timer recording has started in the background.
  • Recorded titles were deleted and showed hard disk full message although HDD space is available.
  • In certain regions in Germany, set does not respond if tuned to SAT1 or Pro7.
  • Improvement in file system recovery to ensure consistent wake-up of recorder.
  • Resolved issue with archiving titles on certain types of DVD+R DL discs.

• General improvements for DVD+/- R and DL recordability
  • Improvement for video quality for RGB when in Tuner mode
  • Bug fix for temporary picture freeze when tuned to SAT 1(Germany)
  • Other bug fixes

• Improve loader performance

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the 3.06 download, and Philips sent me out a disc, which does the same (error DL, then reboots). So they probably downloaded the faulty firmware, wrote it to disc and sent it out to me, lol!!!

I had the same problem with the 3.06 download, and Philips sent me out a disc, which does the same (error DL, then reboots). So they probably downloaded the faulty firmware, wrote it to disc and sent it out to me, lol!!!

Which model do you have mray?
Also how long ago did they send you a disc and did they reply when you told them it wouldn't work?

I just got this email from support:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the software issues with your Philips DVDR3570H/05.

With regards to your query we can advise that we can send you a copy in the post free of charge if you provide us with your full postal address details.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance.

Should you require any further information please contact our Customer Care Centre (details below) quoting customer reference number 50-XXXXXXXXX.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care.

Wonder if I'll get the same duff disc...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi.

Mine is the 3570 (I thought I was the only one!).

I got the disc a couple of weeks ago, and it took two weeks to get here from Switzerland. I never bothered calling them back about it though, as 3.04 was a worthwhile upgrade and 3.06 seems to be a minor one.

I got this message from Philips. I hope they get me a working disc rather than the one mray was sent.

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that Philips have ordered an upgrade disc for your DVDR3570H/05 to the address you provided in your email. As a gesture of goodwill Philips will send it to you free of charge.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance.

Should you require any further information please contact our Customer Care Centre (details below) quoting customer reference number 50-224511133.

Kind regards,

Philips Customer Care.

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and desperately looking for the Firmware Upgrade - Software, Version: V1.61 English (UK) which i cannot get from the Philips Support site as they are on V3.06.Please can someone post file here(if its ok on this forum).
The problem im trying to solve is the dreaded stuck in 'starting' mode
I have already tried upgrade with V3.06 but this does not solve the problem and have been told V1.61 does.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Z:lease:

BTW; It appears Philips have fixed the file on their Support website as I managed to create upgrade disc with V3.06 contents = DVDR35xxH_nonEPG V3.06(Files for CD Upgrade) yesterday.

Last edited:
The problem im trying to solve is the dreaded stuck in 'starting' mode

Oh dear. That's how my DVDR5570H went, and it had to go back to Philips.:thumbsdow

They kept it for a week or so, then sent out a brand new replacement unit. It appears it was a terminal case...

Oh dear. That's how my DVDR5570H went, and it had to go back to Philips.:thumbsdow

They kept it for a week or so, then sent out a brand new replacement unit. It appears it was a terminal case...

Thanx sparky_paul,
Mine is the Dvdr3570H and i no longer have receipt/guarantee...what docs did you need to get replacement ?
On Philips Support site it says V1.61 solves this prob. anyone have this file plse,urgent?:rolleyes:

i no longer have receipt/guarantee...what docs did you need to get replacement ?

Unfortunately, Philips will not consider a warranty repair unless you can produce 'proof of purchase'. They seem to be very keen to make sure units come from an official retail source.

It looks like Philips have fixed the corrupt 3570 files on their website now, as I was able to download and update to 3.06 via USB. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom