Philips DVDR3480

There is not enough user experience of this model on the forum to usefully comment...but as cheap units go it is likely better than many cheap units... especially in terms of useability.

Main drawbacks are no hard drive and NO RGB ... albeit it does have component output.

EDIT - PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE ABOUT RGB IS INACCURATE.

Further information came to light about this point. Please see this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752228

Just to say I have just got this recorder from Tesco of all places will let u all know how well or not it works over the next few days:thumbsup:

Ok multiregion hack worked first time now plays any thing and it does have RGB scart , its nice and compact but it does look a bit plain jane easy to setup .PQ on play back very good , so far so good , will try and test recording side this weekend but so far its not bad considering the amount it cost:hiya:

Recording very very good from my std sky box , one slight disapointment is that its a little bit on the slow side to respond to the remote sometimes.
Yes it is a bit basic but all I want to do with it is record and play simple as that
and that is does Very well :D

Good result.

Enjoy your machine.

Hi all, just got this dvd player today. its o.k, payed £80 for it.Hi Thunder, is the firmware worth updating? whats new on the firmware? :)

If u go too the Philips website it gives the info there about the firmware update
Its very easy to do . Do you feed the sound to a external amp I do and and I find that I need to use more volume than when I am looking at sky .
The firmware update does not seemed to have changed much
All the best Thunder1234:hiya:

The firmware update does not seemed to have changed much
All the best Thunder1234:hiya:
Most DVD-recorders have two kinds of firmware, the application (in the machine) and the loader firmware (loader=DVD recorder drive).
Loader updates generally add parameters to recognise newer batches of blank disc and control the optimum speed/power to write them.

Just a quick update, have now had this a few weeks and I have to say I am well happy with it as long as stays reliable I think its a bargin .
I know Philips is not as respected as sony or panasonic etc but for the money it cost i am not complaining. I have a panny mini suround sound system that has a dvd drive and the Philips is as good as that and a lot simpler to convert to multiregion and a lot better to use :thumbsup::thumbsup: PS Just waiting for my
Philips 42 inch plasma to turn up now .:clap:

Hi "Thunder"

I have been searching AV forums for further reports on this DVD recorder.

I notice that you purchased the above DVD recorder a few months ago, so I was wondering if you have any further comments.

Nothing on the market is ever 100% perfect and flawless. So if you had to mention just one criticism about the DVD recorder, what would it be?

many thanks

Brendan

hi there
Well so far so good not had any probs with it at all apart from it can be a little bit slow somtimes to respond to the remote but other than that nothing major.
Have played coverted movie files from the internet via a memory stick in the usb slot and vcds that I have burnt on the laptop.
Very easy to convert to multiregion, I got it to replace my vcr .
All in all for the money its very very good , if you need something fancy then im sure you could find somthing better but if all u need to do is record and playback stuff then this does this very well indeed.
If u get it from tesco as I did(75quid):clap: then u can allways take it back if u dont like it , have a 42 inch plasma from philips looks great on that too

Thanks...

I'm not after a device that is of oustanding quality with HDMI this and high-definition that.

I just want to record the occassional programme.

I have a Sky HD digibox and a Pioneer 43" HD display.

All I am after is a budget DVD recorder to store the odd programme here and there. There are often programmes in my Sky+ planner that just sit there for months that I dont want to delete. If I could just store them on some reasonable quality DVD (doesnt have to be razor perfect) , then I can free up loads of space on my Sky+planner.

it sounds like this reasonable priced recorder will do that job just fine.

Thanks

Hi all,

I have just bought this DVDR as I want to save programs that I have recorded on my Sky + box. First impressions a very good, but my one issue is with the picture size. I have a 16:9 widescreen TV and have set-up the 3480 to display 16:9, but when I turn on the 3480 it displays 4:3.

Is there something I have missed?

Cheers,
Steve.

Hey.... Yes! I noticed that at first

By default, the " screen shape" setting is set to 16:9, yet playback was in a 16:9 picture in a 4:3 frame (ie: letterbox)

I changed the setting to 4:3 letterbox and then changed it back to 16:9

That did the trick!

Readers of this thread please note I have corrected a major inaccuracy at the beginning of the thread. [Post 2]

Hi, :hiya: This sounds exactly what I want, but does anyone know if it records from the sky+ box okay?

Hi, :hiya: This sounds exactly what I want, but does anyone know if it records from the sky+ box okay?

Yes it will do.

Note that when sky+ boxes boxes timer record, being recorders themselves, they provide no output unlike conventional sky boxes... so programmes normally have to be recorded to the sky+box first and then played out for recording on an archiving device such as this DVDR.

Hi guys, I bought this machine today. Theres an important program that I want to record next week and as im not familar of which disks this machine likes.. I need some help from you guys, which disks are reliable and work well with this recorder? :)

Hi guys, I bought this machine today. Theres an important program that I want to record next week and as im not familar of which disks this machine likes.. I need some help from you guys, which disks are reliable and work well with this recorder? :)

Hi mate,

I use Imation DVD+RW rewritable discs with my Philips, just because you can use them over again or Imation DVD+R discs if it is something I want to keep.

In the CD Freaks review it appears to burn all types and speeds of disc well. However it is always worth buying discs by media code and not brand (except for 'Verbatim' who consistently seem to use good media to put their name on). A few retailers such as SVP give the media code of all the discs they sell.

Hi there, thanks for your replies everyone :)

sorry to sound dumb but what is a media code? I was thinking of buying the 'Sony DVD+R' discs as they are a well known brand but im still not too sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom