Philips DVDR3305-anyone got one!

Ewan154

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi
Thinking aobut buying a Philips DVDR3305 has anyone here bought one?

Are there any issues with it? pls help

Ewan154 said:
Hi
Thinking about buying a Philips DVDR3305 has anyone here bought one?

Are there any issues with it? pls help

Do not buy this, I bought this from John Lewis today and it’s the worst I had even the DMRES10 was better then this. The remote is hard to use and it’s also very hard to operate the unit. I’m thinkin on buying JVC DR-M100 or Panny DMRES20.

xvn5 said:
Do not buy this, I bought this from John Lewis today and it’s the worst I had even the DMRES10 was better then this. The remote is hard to use and it’s also very hard to operate the unit. I’m thinkin on buying JVC DR-M100 or Panny DMRES20.
Great to see an objective review.

I've had no problems with mine whatsoever, records on dvdr and dvd+r and the quality is excellent in 6hr mode

Andy

^^^

I had the Philips and it records in VR mode in DVD+RW, the thing that I don't understand is that it cut off the recoding on the middle. Wot type of disk do u use?

Good ones, for a start. What brand (or media code) of disc are you using?

Maxell 4.7GB DVD+RW 1-4X and the disk manu by Philips

They should be all right. Has the machine done this only once, or every time? Does it always record for the same length of time?

Just wondering whether you're accidentally using one of the one-touch record features (ie a fixed length of time 30min, 60min 90 min etc...)?

Interesting comments here. I've just received a mail shot from Club Philips which shows 3 new models. Top one being the DVDR 7300H.
Anyone know anything more including prices?
And of course - Is it better than the Sony 710/910 ????

when I play the recorded disk on WinDVD6 (PC) the seek bar is transparent and the video stopes while the seek bar is in the middle. So I so think the rest of the video is recorded onto the disk. Maybe its a bad disk also does this Philips accept DVD-RW 4X.

WinDVD plays 12min and goes to the title menu.

Its kinda weird but the Philips DVDR3305 recording quality is way better then Panasonic DMRES10. The Philips has 10bit/57Mhz ADC while Panny has 12bit/57Mhz encoder chip.

ok this is weird, the disk I recorded recently wont be accepted by Ulead. I used the same disk to recorded a previous video and it was accepted by ulead.

rogerh said:
Interesting comments here. I've just received a mail shot from Club Philips which shows 3 new models. Top one being the DVDR 7300H.
Anyone know anything more including prices?
And of course - Is it better than the Sony 710/910 ????
CD Freaks' Philips sub-forum

xvn5 said:
ok this is weird, the disk I recorded recently wont be accepted by Ulead. I used the same disk to recorded a previous video and it was accepted by ulead.
It's really not clear what on earth you're trying to do. You say the Panasonic is better, then you say it's worse, and make statements which appear to be questions.

If you would like some help then please post a coherent story, what type of discs you're using (-RW, +RW or whatever), plus exactly what Ulead software you're attempting to use and why.

ok,

I used TDK 2-4X DVD-RW (DVD-Video mode) on Panasonic and its easy to edit on Ulead Video Studo 9. Only problem is I have to finalize.

On the Philips recorder I used Maxell 4X DVD+RW and Philips 4XDVD+RW, the Philips wont work at all and the on the Maxell only 15min is playable.

I use XP quality on both units and RGB in.

The Philips is not very reliable, so I'm returning it and going back to my TV card.

I wanted to buy DVD Recorders so that I dont have to depend on my PC but there are so many problem with DVD recorders so I gonna wait for 6 months before buying 1 until then I'm gonna go back to my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 card to record video which I have used for the past 2 years.

I use Ulead to edit videos cos I can fit XP quality videos for 2 hours onto a single 4.7GB DVD disk rather then 1 hour by the recorder.

Well, your strategy on DVD recorders seems clear enough.

Still have no idea what is the source of the material you're editing with Ulead (in the last sentence). Recorder or PVR?

How do you get 2 hours of XP to fit a on DVD-5?

"How do you get 2 hours of XP to fit a on DVD-5?"

I use the following custom spec to achieve 2 hour high quality on to a single disk.

The two hour actually improve the XP quality weird huh

OK, I use my own spec

HQ video for Documentaries, Movies and Home videos.

MPEG 2
VBR 5000Kbps
upper field first
MPEG/Dolby 224/256Kbps
720X576
25fps

This is for Movies, Documentaries or home movies thats over 2 hours SP/High

MPEG 2
VBR 4000-4500Kbps
upper field first
MPEG/Dolby 224/256Kbps
720X576
25fps

and for Music Videos or general videos SP/Low

MPEG 2
VBR 3000Kbps
Upper field first
MPEG Audio 224 Kbps
352X576
25fps

I use the following spec to capture from my TV card

CBR 7500Kbps
720X576
upper field first (auto)
25fps
384Kbps MPEG Audio

then I use ulead to change the quality from the encoded quality (TV card) to HQ or SP hi/low. The good thing is that the 2 hour 5000Kbps has better quality then 1 hour XP (on the Panny and Philips).

"Still have no idea what is the source of the material you're editing with Ulead (in the last sentence). Recorder or PVR?"

I record music video/rare movies/documentaries using the TV card, I just moved into DVD recorders and I'm not very happy with the recording quality and disk efficiency. After three DVD recorders tested and disappointed me I'm gonna go back to by Hauppauge, hopefully the quality would be improved soon.

xvn5 said:
then I use ulead to change the quality from the encoded quality (TV card) to HQ or SP hi/low. The good thing is that the 2 hour 5000Kbps has better quality then 1 hour XP (on the Panny and Philips).
This may be because you're using a two-pass PC encoder, whereas the DVDR standalone machines will be one-pass.

I just did 2 pass encode and it took 10min for 4min video and the quality does seemed to be improved.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom