1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR 890 - problems recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fireman Phil, May 9, 2005.

1. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Philips 890 to copy and keep programmes recorded on Sky+. Having got over the problems of linking it all up (I'm not technically minded!), every time I put a disc in and try to copy it won't have it. I have tried Philips own DVD's and Maxell. Anybody got any ideas please? Thank you.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    What sort of error are you getting? The unit only takes DVD+RW and DVD+R discs and so you need to ensure you are using those. I should point out though that this unit - along with all of Philips DVD recorders - are infamous for failing.

3. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I firstly tried the Philips own disc but now that reads "unkown data". I then tried the Maxells but I'm not sure if these are compatible - the message reads "disc error" - The front cover reads DVD+R 120 min video recordable 4.7 GB data - is this for a DVD or PC?

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It doesn't matter whether this type of disc is used in a PC or a DVD recorder, but the fact that you got the 'Disc Error' message suggests your machine may be broken. Where exactly did you get it from?

5. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, now there lies a tale! I think it came from the far east. I got it from my mother in law who travelled to the far east a lot on business. Her partner apeared with it one day but he has since, sadly, died so I'm not exactly sure of the origin. However, I did find a disc which had a film recorded on it - I presume recorded on the same DVD. My mother in law hasn't a clue how to turn it on - it never mind where it came from!

6. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears very unpredictable - I've had "empty disc" and "disc error" with the same disc in 2 consecutive attempts.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry to hear that.

Philips will repair these units free of charge for up to two years after purchase, but you may need some proof.

Depends on how you feel, really. I can give you some information on how to get it repaired, but if you're really keen to get into DVD recording and want to buy a machine, then I would advise getting a more current unit from a different manufacturer.

8. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I E mailed Philips but they seemed reluctant to repair it - saying they could give me the name of a local dealer. Without going too mad on expense, which machine would you advise?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Have a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature - it will guide you through the FAQs of buying a DVD recorder. The market is something of a minefield so it's worth reading up on it first.

10. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have a look at the link in Rasczak's signature for a guide on buying a DVD recorder. As a matter of fact I'm expecting him to chime in at some stage with a host of options.

Many people go for a machine with a hard disc, so you can dump stuff from Sky and then edit out adverts before transferring to DVD at up to 4x speed (~15 min) on the same machine. I know many people who are happy with the Pioneer range so you could have a look at them. Toshiba have similar models but there are a few reports of disc recognition problems (entirely different from that of Philips). Panasonic have a rock-solid reputation as well.

If you can afford the time then doing some reading around would be beneficial. Meanwhile, try this method for getting your 890 repaired. It has worked for many, despite the hard efforts of Philips Customer Service to thwart their endeavours.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The Pioneer models are excellent recorders but are outclassed by the major players at present: the new Panasonic series with their 12 Bit encoders and 4hr full resolution recording surpass them at recorded picture quality. The Toshiba range offers more DVD authoring options. And the Sony range offers better DVD playback and recording picture quality. All three ranges offer better connectivity than the Pioneers.

As things stand then the Pioneer models are looking slightly long in the tooth - hence why replacement models are inbound. That said many of the Pioneer models are now available at heavily discounted prices so are worth picking up.

None of this applies to the fantastic £800 Pioneer DVDR920 though which is, arguably, one of the best DVDRs available.

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There you go... :)

13. Fireman Phil

Fireman Phil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Musukebba and Rasczak for your assistance, it is very much appreciated.