Quantcast

Philips DVDR 890 - Burned dvd p/back issue

D

djg

Have had the Philips dvdr 890 for a couple of years now and apart from the well-documented disc-error issue during recording, which I had repaired a long time ago, the deck has behaved extremely well up 'til now.

The deck has suddenly developed a quirk when playing back burned (i.e. burned on a PC dvd writer) dvd's, to wit: when the deck is first powered-up, it does not recognise an inserted burned disc (sometimes, 'no disc' will appear in the display, sometimes not, but the result is the same - failure to play).

However - and here's the rub - after the deck has been powered-up for a few minutes, the same disc can be inserted and it spins-up and plays back without any problem whatsoever.

At first I assumed I had a batch of dodgy dvd -r blanks (yes, I realise that the 890 is a deck from the +RW camp but the deck previously had no problem instantly recognising any one of the hundreds of burned dvd -r's I had hithertofore produced); so I bought another brand of blank - same problem. Then I thought the problem might be with the authored disc structure, so I burned a disc with a structure I regularly send 'round the world - same problem.

Has anyone else experienced this, 'won't play, will play' issue with their Philips recorder? And if so, is it a portent that worse is to come (i.e. error's in record)?

musukebba

Novice Member
Unfortunately it sounds like the optical pickup is failing again. The warm-up time will get longer and eventually even commercial DVDs will not be recognised.

When did you last make a native recording (either +R or +RW) on the machine?

It's not unknown for the repair to become faulty. You should contact the people described here, since recently this was still the best way to go about getting the machine repaired.

D

djg

musukebba said:
Unfortunately it sounds like the optical pickup is failing again. The warm-up time will get longer and eventually even commercial DVDs will not be recognised.

When did you last make a native recording (either +R or +RW) on the machine?
Thanks for the link.

The last native recording I made was within the last five days. I record only on +RW after reading a user-comment which said that the recorder started playing up after using +R.

musukebba

Novice Member
Yes, the usual progression of the fault is a failure to recognise +R; then +RW; then commercial DVDs, probably due to the different reflectivity of the media.

I was presuming you were in the UK, but this may not be true after reading the timing of your post? If you are in the US then the indications are that it may be very difficult to get Philips to do anything. However the fact that you have had it repaired already means you're on their records somewhere, and may make it easier.

Please let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom