1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvdr 880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darth, Oct 24, 2005.

1. darth

darth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips dvdr 880 multi-region upgrade
    Is there a multi region upgrade(either firmware or chip) avalable for this philips unit.
    many thanks

2. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

If memory serves me right I made mine multiregion using the firmware upgrade from the philips website. I would recommend you do this & check for regular updates for this machine as it is prone to reliability problems. I had the drive in mine exchanged for a newer one last December & so far has been really good.

Regards

Gary

3. darth

darth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks will have a look and give it a try

4. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Darth, unless you desperately need multi reigon I would leave well alone, as the 880 and 890 are notoriously unreliable. I had an 880 that went back 3 times before finally getting it exchanged, and not by those unhelpful people at philips I might add.
    Clyde.

5. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Just curious, when I returned mine back to Currys they claimed it actually went back to Philips for repair & where surprised to see it come back as most had been exchanged for a later Philips recorder. On the box the engineers comment where exchange drive & install firmware. I can't remember what firmware they upgraded or downgraded to but since then touching lots of wood I have had no problems with recorder. As I only use it for dumping stuff from my hard drivr recorder for archiving it doesn't get much use though.

Regards

Gary

6. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gary,
    Mine supposedly had 2 new drives by philips and in the end I insisted on a new machine. I was even told that philips were extending the warranty to 2 years. Also when I phoned philips customer helpline an arrogant adolescent told me that firmware upgrades dont exist at all for anything, they are a myth (Yes, I was gobsmacked too). By this time I had to laugh or cry, so I laughed and put the phone down , then cried (only joking). Anyway it was changed in the end, and I will never choose to buy philips again.
    Regards,
    Clyde.

7. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Well mine will be 2 years old on Boxing day so maybe time for it to break down again ;-)

As for making region free I did a quick search on google for 'philips dvdr880 multiregion' & got loads of pages. The most common is with a handset crack but you need a 6 in 1 oneforall remote. I remember borrowing one from a friend for mine.

regards

Gary

8. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    be careful though i managed to kill my dvdr 890 with a multiregion code :oops: