Philips DVDR-610 recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jedwards, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchased a DVDR-610 recorder but am unable to connect it up properly to my amplifier (Sony HTK-215) due to the fact that it only has a coaxial output, & the amplifier only has an optical input. Does anyone know whether I can get round this by buying a Coaxial to Optical converter?

Will I be able to get 5.1/DTS sound?

Thanks!!

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your best option is to connect to phono outs on your TV - then you can amplify whatever it is you're watching

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    His best bet is to return the Philips 610 and replace it with something more suitable to his needs - the Pioneer 220 for example offers coaxial digital output. I would humbly suggest that this is a somewhat better solution than abandoning 5.1 sound!

If the original poster does an internet/forum search for Philips DVD recorders he might well see this is good advice. So far every generation of Philips DVD recorders has been plagued by problems - many proving to be criticial. Whilst the likes of Jethro will say "it was on older models" the same disc error, display lockups and refusal to play commercal DVDs come up time and time again. And this is before you even consider the fact that Philips machines are 'lite' on performance and features. :thumbsdow

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'm wrong, but i think pioneer recorders only have 1 optical digital output and none coaxial digital output.

However, there are coaxial <-> optical digital converters that you can use.

Hope that helps

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    No you're quite right - my mistake (could have sworn I had connected at least one of my Pioneer models by coaxial - my memory must be going!) - look at something like the Toshiba DR3 instead.

Optical to Coaxial converters mentioned can be found here - but do note that using such devices is not always trouble free.