Philips DVDR 3570h keeps dropping out

kmsimmonds

Standard Member
I have just got a Philips 3570 DVDR. When it works - its good, but on playing back hard drive recordings, it keeps freezing for a couple of seconds, then continuing (picture freezes - 2 or 3 seconds lost sound) right through the playback. It drives me mad. I got rid of the previous model because it did the same thing. I'm beginning to think all DVD recorders are like this. Is this normal? Is there any thing I can do to fix it? Should I drop it out the window ????

drzeus_gr

Standard Member
Have the same recorder here but fortunately not that problem. Dodgy hard drive reading perhaps, or flaky power supply? I must admit I was rather reluctant to buy a DVDR from my experience with hard drives in pc's but since it is getting very hard to find a video recorder we are giving it a go and so far so good. The only complaint i have with this particular model is the stupid scrolling when you want to change times in timer settings ... a one legged tortoise would go faster, its unbelievably slow. So I am giving myself RSI by pressing the buttons.
I did have big problems one day tho with the machine .... then discovered that the edge of one of the remote's buttons had got caught under the facing ... and that explained why it was going crazy!

ramjet

Banned
personally , I never buy anything made buy philips , never seen anything worth buying of theirs and prefer sony or samsung or toshiba or pioneer myself

are all recorders like this ? = answer = no they are not all like this

I have the sony970b and cannot fault it playing back from hdd or from dvd

Gavtech

Administrator
I have just got a Philips 3570 DVDR. When it works - its good, but on playing back hard drive recordings, it keeps freezing for a couple of seconds, then continuing (picture freezes - 2 or 3 seconds lost sound) right through the playback. It drives me mad. I got rid of the previous model because it did the same thing. I'm beginning to think all DVD recorders are like this. Is this normal? Is there any thing I can do to fix it? Should I drop it out the window ????
Are these Freeview recordings?

You may be blaming the unit unfairly.
This is a classic symptom of poor Freeview reception and may indicate your aerial system is perhaps performing poorly.

When you get problems of this nature , ALWAYS note the channel on which it occurred... That information can be used to deduce where the problem lies - if it is a particular group of channels.

What was the previous model you had?

It could also indicate a hard disc problem but this is much less likely.
Also file fragmentation can cause this - but would not be expected on a new unit such as this.

kmsimmonds

Standard Member
No its not from Freeview (I haven't even got a terrestrial aerial). Its all from satellite ... and very good quality too. Its just this sodding dropping out thats getting annoying.

S

sparky-76

Hi there. I have read about your problem. I work in an electrical shop setting up these things and this is a new problem for me. My father in law has one too which i actually bought for him. One thing I do suggest to do is check that the scart lead running from the satellite box (I assume SKY) to the Philips is definately coming from the VCR scart output of the sat box. If it is coming from the TV output this can lead to problems such as you are describing. I found this with a freeview box that done the same thing. My guess is that it is due to signals getting modulated incorrectly or some sort of power loss. To check this try running an RF input into the recorder from the satellite and tuning in and then recording. Your picture and sound will not be as good as scart but it will check the correct operation of your recorder. I would try checking the scart connections first as it strikes me as strange two recorders being faulty doing the same thing. Another writer said he is not surprised it is faulty as it is a Philips but they are really not that bad. There are maybe better products on the market but I can't really fault them as I have no serious compliants against them and i have set up a number of them now. Please try this and let me know. I am maybe completely off the mark in what I am suggesting but it is where I would be looking at first. All the best, Sparky.

L

lou14

hi sorry to hijack but im having problems with same dvd recorder but for different reasons. i am trying to copy programmes which are recorded on my sky+ box and put them onto my dvd recorder hard drive to put them to disc. the problem is if i record a programme for 2 hours,when i try to put it on to the disc it says i have used 4 hours and not enough room but this doesnt happen if i record live tv direct to the hdd drive. I would do it like this but if i record with sky+ then i can turn over and watch another channel but cannot do this with the philips recorder (unless there is a way i dont know about).

Is it me or is the instruction manual not very informative?
Any help would be grately appreciated as im about to lose my mind. thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
the problem is if i record a programme for 2 hours,when i try to put it on to the disc it says i have used 4 hours and not enough room but this doesnt happen if i record live tv direct to the hdd drive
Read the table on page 33 of your user manual.
Recording settings.

argo1946

Standard Member
I'm sure that I'm suffering from the same problem but with slightly different symptoms. For six months or so, I have recorded TV programmes (OK, you may not find Inspector Morse or Cadfael interesting but I do like a detective story) from Sky+ onto VCR using a Samsung 330.
Sometimes, I write these recordings to DVD (DVD-R if it is relevant) so I can view them in my own time, on my portable Logik or even through my home computer PC. This works just fine. They even worked on a (£25) Pacific DVD player that I have recently given away to my son.
But, whenever I try to play these DVDs on my Philips 3570H they freeze on the chapter markings, i.e. every 5 minutes, the playback freezes. Most times, I can get the movie to continue by using the "next chapter" arrow button but it is frustrating to have to do this every 5 minutes.
I have emailed Philips Customer support as their web pages don't have a FAQ about it. I await their reply.
Roger

argo1946

Standard Member
I took the 3570 back to Currys and, without question, they gave me a replacement - good Customer Relations at Currys:thumbsup:
Sad to relate but the replacement had exactly the same problem - freezing at chapter marks. So, I took the replacement back and the same good Customer Relations:thumbsup: pertained - they offered me my money back or credit on an alternative.
I am now the owner of a Samsung 855 which does the job, no freezing at chapter marks, big HDD for recording things from my Sky box - I am happy now.
Roger

Sentdowntempo

Standard Member
I have the same problem with my 3597H

When it was new, it didn't do it, it started about two months after I had it. This makes me suspect that its a file fragmentation problem. I think the only thing to do is to reformat the drive and lose the recordings to see if this is the reason.

My drive is currently 76% full... it would be interesting to see how full yours is. I'd ideally like to not bother with the music partition as I don't use it. 5ts a waste of space for me.

I don't think that reception is the problem here as I am recording from a Sky dish having long ago given up on hopeless freeview.

edit: I tried deleting a lot of the HDD recordings... this caused the player to hang. Now when I try use the list of HD recordings I get a 'disc error' screen. Actually I get it with most operations and live TV no longer works either.

Deleting files killed my machine. Thats pathetic.

edit: I upgraded the firmware, this fixed the menus... but the HD started making bearing failure noises so I think that this is now looking like physical media failure. Surprising, I've only had one HD bearing go in about 15 years, so these must use really cheap hard drives.

S

SillyBugger

I had the same problem with this unit from new. Took the first one back to the shop and they replaced without question. Trouble is, the replacement does exactly the same thing. What's more, it often freezes in the middle of playing a DVD and requires a complete power-cycled re-boot. No more Phillips gear for me!

Bobh0905

Standard Member
Mine developed this problem after about four months. I thought I was doing something wrong and tried all sorts of things to rectify it, including upgrading the firmware. In the end I took it back to the shop for a refund.
Unfortunately it seems to be the end of the line and I can't get another, or similar, one. I particularly liked it because it had a USB port, which worked brilliantly, and it was cheap.
I've never had a problem with Philips stuff, I quite like it. To my knowledge Philips have never tried installing software onto my PC to control what I can do with CDs and DVDs, unlike another manufacturer that some people in this topic seem to prefer. Despite the dropout problem with this device, I have no qualms about going for a Philips. After reading this topic, I may not go for this model though.

Gavtech

Administrator
Mine developed this problem after about four months. I thought I was doing something wrong and tried all sorts of things to rectify it, including upgrading the firmware. In the end I took it back to the shop for a refund.
Unfortunately it seems to be the end of the line and I can't get another, or similar, one. I particularly liked it because it had a USB port, which worked brilliantly, and it was cheap.
I've never had a problem with Philips stuff, I quite like it. To my knowledge Philips have never tried installing software onto my PC to control what I can do with CDs and DVDs, unlike another manufacturer that some people in this topic seem to prefer. Despite the dropout problem with this device, I have no qualms about going for a Philips. After reading this topic, I may not go for this model though.
Welcome to the forum.

You may find that , either there have been broadcast changes in your area... or that your aerial system has developed a problem, which is more than likely.
Not an issue with the unit at all.

Bobh0905

Standard Member
Thanks for that bit of info Gavtech. But I did try recording from both the aerial and VirginMedia box, but with the same results. Most frustratingly, it wasn't consistent. Sometimes the playback would keep dropping out, other times it was OK (I even tried recording the same channels at the same time of night).
So I'd just get used to it being OK, and then sit back to watch something I'd just recorded, and find it dropping out again.
So I got fed up with the inconsistency too.
Interestingly, it may not have been a problem with the playback. I've just remembered that I copied files displaying the dropout from my Recorder hard disk to DVD, and played them back on my PC, just to see what happened. The dropout had been transferred to the DVD. I didn't go as far as verifying that the dropout occured at the same places, that I had dropout on the DVDs at all was the final straw.
Having done that test, I didn't know what to make of the result. So I gave up.

Steveo33

Standard Member
Hi. Its not a problem with your setup etc. Its the TSB (time shift buffer) is full. On your remote, press the options button, click on TSB reset. Then turn your dvd recorder off and back on and then watch what you have recorded. Its a bloody pain in the arse. I have one of these too and it drives me mad. Hope this sorts your problem

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom