Philips DVD963SA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sirjohnofbalham, Jun 27, 2002.

1. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is being marketed by Philips as a progressive scan player. I recently emailed them to ask when it was going to be available and whether it would be offering PAL progressive. They replied that it would be available in the UK towards the end of July and 'was a region 2 player only'. Should I infer from this that it will provide PAL ps or that it will need to be made multi region?
    No mention is made about ps being available for NTSC only.
    There has been some correspondence about the Asian 962SA available from HiViZone which does offer PAL ps. Does anyone know how this player is hacked? Finally, is the PAL ps on the 962 2:2 pulldown?

2. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sigh,
    I really hope this comes through as a Pal progressive player, on the avsforum it has been mentioned that thanks to macrovision licensing/dvd forum a couple of pc cards for dvd playback have had their progressive component limited to 480p.

The ATI component dongle for the 8500 is limited to 480p on dvd playback, it can hit 720p/1080i on non macrovison material though.

And the new Xcard replacement for the hollywood+ has had it's spec altered since march.

Can you even believe they even had to take out 576p!!

What is going on?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

j

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This whole Philips 962/963 issue is becoming very confusing - the 962SA is reviewed in this month's HiFi World and they absolutely loved it (and they're not easily impressed) going as far as to say it is worth the purchase price for the CD sound alone!

All well and good - sounds like a great player for £400 - but the UK version (multi region or otherwise) of the 962 doesn't appear to have progressive scan, unlike the imports some people have obtained, and then we find out that the 962 is to be superceded in a few months by the 963 that will offer progressive scan.

I don't know what the Philips marketing people are playing at - they seem to have a great product that's had an excellent review by a well respected magazine but who's gonna buy it if it's going to be obsolete within a few months?

Matt.

4. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's amazing how difficult it is to get hard and fast information out of these big companies. I suppose it all boils down to the fact that the majority of Joe Public don't really care whether the player is ps or not or indeed don't even know what it means. There would certainly be no point in asking any of the salesmen who work at that well known High Street shopping chain. Is there anyone who works for Philips reading this forum who could give a definitive answer? I'm not convinced that the person at Philips who replied to my original email really understood the question.

5. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know how true this is but I knabbed it from a thread about xbox progressive on avsforum.

That would explain alot.

Just out of interest what proportion of tv's in the us\jap are sold with progressive capable inputs? I don't actually reckon it is that high but they still have progressive scan dvd players falling out of the sky over there, there must be what over 40 to choose from, and how many do we have??

Or is it all down to the fact europe went scart?

:confused:

6. Tomas L

Tomas L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is indeed confusing!

sirjohnofbalham: Are you sure that Philips wasn't talking about the DVD962SA? :)

The DVD962SA hasn't even been released in Sweden, I wonder if it ever will be if the 963 is so close to a UK release.

The European version of the 962 doesn't have the Faroudja chip in the player, but the Asian version does and can easily be made region free and PAL progressive with a service remote. The faroudja chip is an excellent deinterlacer that can detect both 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown and output 480P and 576P. It also has DCDi technology that is used to deinterlace videomaterial.

It looks like that the European 963 will also have the Faroudja chip in the player, officially to deinterlace NTSC material that are R0 (not regioncoded like AVIA) or R2 (not too many titles though...). If it has the chip (and Philips PDF says it has it) it will most likely be just as easy to enable 576P as with the asian 962.

BTW: It's not macrovisions fault that we don't have 576P, but rather the DVD standard that doesn't specify progressive PAL. Some say that it's because of the movie companys fear of piracy, others say that it was just "forgotten". More here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17587&highlight=read+this