1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD963SA & PAL Progressive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dimmy, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've JUST bought a Toshiba 28ZD26P Progressive Scan compatible television, although as I'm sure most of you are aware it only supports NTSC Progressive. I've heard that the aforementioned DVD player can support PAL progressive by converting it to an NTSC signal, which obviously means I can have PAL progressive on my nice new Toshiba telly. But the thing is, after an hour's searching, I can't find the DVD deck anywhere on the net for purchase! Could somebody please tell me where I can buy it from, as I'd really like the option of PAL Progressive. Merci Beacoup

2. saguk

saguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Turl

Turl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. metssuru

metssuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to home cinema but im very interested in progressive scan. I have just orderer a philips 963SA and im now looking for a tv to match it.

Have you tried using your toshiba 28zd26p with it for pal progressive and does it work?

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't buy the philips in the end - as is said underneth, I opted for the Toshiba. Mainly because it'd been recuded by like a grand and I didn't want to miss out on the offer. The 900E however does the same thing as the 963SA in that it converts PAL Progressive to NTSC signals, which does work with the 28ZD26.

6. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say it converts it to NTSC, that is not to say that it has to. I assume that it can output pure Pal progresive scan?

7. mwj666

mwj666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been looking at the Philips DVD963SA - for progressive on component video to go with my nice new plasma screen...

BAD news: As supplied, the 963SA is only configured to do progressive scan on NTSC discs, not PAL ones. As region 2 discs are PAL, this makes progressive playback ability pretty useless in the UK unless you get it multi-regioned and have USA discs.

GOOD news: I have been told that the player is inherently capable of PAL progressive playback and that if you ring Philips they will give you a code to enter to activate this facility.

I have also found a 'remote hack' which is supposed to activate PAL progressive playback. I don't have the details to hand but if anyone wants to email me I'll let them have it - subject to the proviso that I haven't tried this myself and accept NO LIABILITY WHATEVER for any deleterious effects it may have!

Martin

8. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5